Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[All Platforms] Cloud Files

Today we have 'Local files' that allow us to include, well, local files in our playlists etc. And this works well on my local machine. But as I have a home machine, work machine, my phone and my wife's phone these files are not available across them all. So I would love to see a 'Cloud files' feature. 

Cloud files would allow me to upload/sync my local music online (either to Spotifys own servers or using a 'hook' to Apple/Google/others) and then those files would be equaled to music provided by Spotify.

I would clearly pay extra for this option (30 NOK pr. month?). 

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
AgentSilentCat

We know we can download them to our phone, the thing is, WE DON'T WANT TO. YouTube Music AND Apple Music BOTH allow this, why spotify can't is beyond me. Stop closing things and actually listen to what we want. You certainly can implement this, you just won't. 

Erwina

Set local files to public so that someone else can also play/hear them. Can you think out for that in the next update?

Plazmex8

" we aren't able to prioritize it"

Yeah, cooking videos that nobody asked for are definitely WAY more important!

4noraeson

Can't believe this is not a feature. May be enough to make me swap back to YouTube music even though I prefer spotify.

Local files rather than cloud based means your playlists may not work everywhere. It's also a pain having to add your files to every device you may want to play them from.

On Android local files is ALL media files on the device which is nothing short of absurd. There is no way to restrict it to a particular directory.

Surely the ability to upload personal files for private playback isn't beyond Spotify's abilities. This is obviously a popular idea, and even a potential money making opportunity (added premium for larger storage). Please prioritize this topic.

Roberry

Just wanna bump this. My main problem is that i have local files but i cannot play them on my chromecast ultra, which is my main media player. I have to go through the hassle of connecting my device via bluetooth or screen mirroring. 

Cloud files would be a great help to to also ensure the files are all in sync. A small budget of 1GB would even be sufficient.