Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Light Mode option

Hi,

The new white text on black design physically hurts my eyes and gives very bad ghosting (i.e. persistent image like those in optical illusions that make you stare at particular color combinations and then look away). I know I'm not the only one with this issue because I've researched it in the past. Without an option to switch back to the old design (White background/black text), I'll need to delete my Spotify account and find another service. Please add an option to switch between the two (because I know many prefer black backgrounds). Myself and a host of others, however, cannot use these color combinations. Please let me know if there is a work-around; it would be much appreciated. It's basically unusable to me in it's current state.

~V

Updated on 2023-03-18

Hey folks,

This idea has been moved to a wrong place in the forum but is now back in its place.

We're keeping the status of Not Right Now as we still don't have any immediate plans to implement this, however, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status if we have any news to share.

Thanks!

Comments
lewis144
@Senliast - Hippidy hoppidy, skippidy boppidy?
Senliast

@lewis144 ?

When is Spotify going to add a light mode to their product?

It's an accessibility issue that needs/should be fixed. Not everyone is able to see and read white text on black backgrounds as well as vice versa. For example, I have an astigmatism that makes the aforementioned white text on dark backgrounds much more difficult for me to read and process. Due to this, I find using Spotify to be a painful experience and strive to use it as little as possible.

It's understandable to not have a light mode right after you launch, but Spotify is now approaching 20 years old & I find it astonishing that there doesn't even seem to be a plan to develop a light mode sometime in the future. Does Spotify plan to fix this accessibility issue ever?
MihailY
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2023-03-18

Hey folks,

This idea has been moved to a wrong place in the forum but is now back in its place.

We're keeping the status of Not Right Now as we still don't have any immediate plans to implement this, however, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status if we have any news to share.

Thanks!

mryummy

What is the current status of this 'project'? I would love to see a light mode option for atleast the mobile app. So that it syncs with the rest of my UI. Dark mode is very difficult to read during the day in direct sunlight. Also, in my opinion, dark mode is very depressing.

BabyEcho0_YT_SP

dude i stay up until 3am and me going onto spotify with the light mode one i'll be like that one flashbang meme

SFTS1

I switched to Deezer because of this, and i'm loving it !

BabyEcho0_YT_SP

POV: you turn on light mode in the dark after your eyes get adjusted to the darkness

Don't mind the first .5s of it the video edit glitch outDon't mind the first .5s of it the video edit glitch out

spookidiga

A few votes away from 6,000 (as of June 2023) and it's not important?  Dark mode (on any webpage/app) does not work well in bright conditions such as being outside.  If Spotify can't fix this without too much effort it means they've designed their code poorly.  Styling & UI should be decoupled from other functions.  

MartinKirk

The only way forward for Spotify, is that Elon Musk purchase the company and fires the 4.000 people who are blocking change of the product...