Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Podcasts] Add Podcasts from RSS URL, for Patreon and other Private Private Streams

There have been a few similar posts, and the most recent one was ~5 votes from passing, so I'm going to try submitting this again.

Wouldn't it be amazing if you could add a podcast to your feed from an RSS URL? Did you sign up for a patreon and not know how to listen to your special new feed?

This request is to add the ability to add a podcast from an RSS feed. This opens a lot of doors, and theoretically isn't that difficult to implement.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
tyberius4077

The fact I cannot add an RSS feed to spotify is absurd. If you want to be an "all in one" player and have people use you for their playing needs then act like it. I pay for a premium subscription and yet you insist on putting out an inferior product?

This along with your abhorrent royalty practices makes me think I might as well cancel it and start paying for something that will do the MOST BASIC function of any of the legion of free podcast apps. Why should I continue to give money to a company that refuses to enact a simple, universally requested feature; and instead turns around and spits in my face?

osweetman1

I came here because Google Podcasts is ending and figured maybe I'll switch to Spotify for podcasts since I'm already a paying subscriber.  But apparently that won't work because it doesn't have the basic functionality for premium podcast feeds (e.g. Sam Harris).  Guess I'll have to keep looking for a new podcast app...

aariatov

For the love of god. Instead of implementing audiobooks or video integration, focus on the features we've been begging for, for over five years.

Holmgren

FFS....can you add this already? 

Redauser

Dear Spotify any news on this?  It has been a year since last update

ElusiveZatchmo

The ability to do add RSS feeds to subscribe to podcasts is really the only thing preventing me from using Spotify for podcasts. On top of Spotify not having all the shows I listen to, I would prefer to use the ad-free/extended versions that I get from my Patreon feeds to boot. So, as soon as this is implemented, I will more than happily switch over to Spotify for my podcasts.

ElusiveZatchmo

I have at least 4 podcasts that I listen to that aren't on your platform. And 5 podcasts that I subscribe to through patreon for extended and exclusive episodes. It would be nice to add these 9 as RSS feeds to Spotify to just have everything in one place. Not sure why this is such a difficult feature to activate.

JonnyIncognito

I can understand why this feature could complicate Spotify's business model. Take for example the reason I found this feature request / thread: Sam Harris has a freemium podcast where the first half is available via Spotify but I need to subscribe directly via his website and use a private RSS feed to listen to the 2nd half. I suspect Spotify will make money out of the first half played directly as normal content. However, that won't be the case for private RSS feeds and Spotify would miss out on the revenue. The feature would compete with Spotify's own content.

I wish Spotify could find a way to make this work though as it's frustrating!

osweetman1

Just an update re: Sam Harris, I discovered that he provides a direct link to add the private feed to Spotify.  I think it's in the "account" section of the website for subscribers. I also had another podcast (radio show) not in Spotify search for some reason, but I contacted the radio station and they sent me a link that added it to Spotify.  So far so good, although I'd definitely consider using another app considering the obvious limitations of Spotify. 

JonnyIncognito

Ah yes, thanks! Seems Spotify has worked around the need for this feature with certain Podcasts: after subscribing to Sam Harris I followed the Spotify link and accepted the agreement, then the podcast was the full "subscribed" version. Seems like a reasonable compromise for the well known Podcasts, but if the publishers need to provide the URLs is it open for anyone to use?