Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Echo] Play multiple Speakers at the same Time

I recently got six(6) of the 2nd gen Amazon Echo Dots and placed them everywhere in my home. And I realized the policy of Spotify that is limiting to only one device to play music at the same time bothers me a lot when I set Spotify as a default music libary. For example, if one of my family members asks one of Echo Dots in his/her room to play music A, then music B on another Echo Dot I'm listening to stops playing.

I know there is Spotify Family Plan but my kids can't join that because they are just young and they don't have any email account yet. And also I don't want to create an account for them yet.

I believe Spotify could make possible to play the same music over multiple Echo Dots under the same network at the same time somehow even while it's not possible to play music on other multiple devices. Maybe by verifying some factors like if it's for Amazon Echo Dots under the same network under the same account.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks, Spotify staff here.

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 500 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Comments
napken70

I just can't believe this issue is not being addressed by Spotify.  It would be one thing to ask me or my wife to manage this kind of BS as adults, but for kids....come on **bleep**. They don't have Amazon accounts and are too young for phones.

Better pull your head out of your @$$ quickly......or every family that buys Alexa devices are going to leave.

Shygar
I cancelled my membership today and put this as the reason. This is the
only thing stopping me from coming back.
jonsmirl1

This missing feature is making us switch from Spotify to Amazon Music Unlimited. Our family is completely happy with Spotify except for this single issue.  I am not asking for multiple accounts on the Echoes, a single login is fine - we can add our playlists to it. The problem is the Spotify restriction of a single active stream per login. Amazon Music makes this work by allowing multiple streams per login while still maintaining the family limit of 6 active streams.

Amazon Music Unlimited FAQ

With the Family Plan, do our shared home devices--for example, the Echo in the kitchen and the Dot in living room--each need to be associated with a different family member to play at the same time?

No, those can be associated with one family member’s account and you will still be able to stream music on up to 6 devices as the same time.

soultrip

A super easy solution would be to allow streaming on up to (6 + number of accounts) devices cumulatively across all accounts on family premium. sure you run the risk of a couple of people freeloading, but you are actively losing customers over this.

or a more technical solution is to provide an Alexa specific endpoint for streaming from Alexa.  Then allow your API to stream to multiple device requests that hit that endpoint.  

dipsandjane

To add to all the other comments. It's mind boggling how spotify haven't solved this issue - infuriating when your music gets stopped by a family member (not their fault but starts arguments nonetheless!). It must be to do with Amazon/Spotify competition and commercial relationship rather than technical barriers but whatever it is no progress over the last few years is really poor. Other than this one issue Spotify is fantastic. Please raise up your priority list as right now Spotify doesn't seem to be listening to its listeners/payers/users.

gmandrsn

I too am shocked this issue has not been resolved. I mean this has seriously been a request since 2016, and it negatively effects the user who pay you the most each month (Spotify family subscribers)

I love Spotify and so do my kids, but I think we'll be switching to Amazon music unlimited as well, since Amazon now has explicit lyrics filters.

benwazio

I agree, the failure to address this makes Spotify effectively useless for families using any form of "whole house" digital music solution (e.g. Amazon or Sonos from what I can tell).  The fact that the topic was brought up in 2016 with no resolution or improvement makes it pretty clear that Spotify is not interested in addressing this.  It's a shame, I otherwise liked Spotify, but I guess it's Amazon music unlimited for me.

aziandream

Meh. I'm canceling my Spotify account and switching to Amazon unlimited too. Can't play 2 playlists on 2 different Alexa. We have routines set up on our Alexa and by creating different Alexa accounts we can't access the routines across accounts. Just seems crazy that Spotify don't want to address such a simple common sense issue. Too bad.

Lifeseeker

Come on. Really? Please fix this.

realriot

Wow… 2022 and this „bug“ is still there 🤦‍♂️

This is really awkward for spotify.