Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
TomLegend
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2019-08-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to reintroduce. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks

Thulak837

I LOVED this widget and used it daily as a salesman. Im constantly on the road and this widget was a huge part of my day and made spotify so much easier to use. 

Justhere4widget

This was a really bizarre move, Spotify! 

It's not just the "other apps have a widget too" element. Even with Android trying to become more gesture focused like other mobile OSs on the market, there are 2 major perks to having a widget:

1. With phone screens becoming taller, not everyone can reach the top notification menu with one hand. Being able to have the widget exactly where people liked it was a "soft accessibility" feature.

2. Having the playback details right there on the home screen is a much better, more subtle way to re-engage users to open the app than "a static green circle with some squiggles on it"

If you're not going to bring it back, at least give us a better explanation than "we take retiring features seriously". 

ZenCross

Why you removed the widget is baffling at best, it was simple and quick to access, today I found my self fumbling more with having to search for the actual app icon or swipping  down to get to the notification section while at tue gym. Android prides it self on having options for applications and usebility and yet here we are. 

HunterSWolf

Well I am glad that you posted an update so quickly and I while I do not agree with your decision it is yours to make.  I will make mine as well.  Unfortunatly for Spotify once I am lost as a customer (and I am sure others are similar), I will not be looking back with any regularity.  I will still give Spotify until next week to revert or alter this decision before commiting to my decision to vote with my wallet.

EitoMan

Effing insulting to have to vote on a feature the moronic Spotify developers just removed.  And the condecension from Spotify moderators and customer support is only adding fuel to the fire.  When you f-up this bad, maybe listen to your customers and unfuk your mistake?

The response that the "vote" is being closed is enraging. Spotify team members are basically telling customers to f-off. I was going to wait a week to drop Spotify in the hopes that the company would listen to the community feedback. Instead, it is becoming 100% clear that Spotify doesn't care about what customers want.

feedmemuzik

Thanks for your input Tom. **bleep** near 1500 votes in a couple days and Spotify says not right now? Ya'll must all be iphone users. Why WOULDN'T Spotify want a large ribbon on a user's homescreen that advertises what music playing app they use? I've been using Spotify since it existed and put up with repeated playback bugs, reorganizing the homescreen, removing an "all songs" playback category (wth tho). I'm really disappointed in you. Thanks for listening.

Remsteale

I use the widget daily, are you just trying to annoy customers now or something? Please return it forthwith.

Kezkez1

Seriously? You set this to Not Right Now? You literally don't have to re develop the idea, just go back and put the feature back in! You get 1400 votes in a matter of hours and you don't think it's important enough to warrant taking a look at? Tsk tsk Spotify... that's poor customer service if you ask me. Your community is literally crying out for this feature to be re-instated and instead you give your clients the brush off... 

hendersj

Now that I'm more awake and not on my phone....

This is basic functionality for applications on Android.  As others have noted, every music player that runs on Android has a widget of some sort.  It's convenient, it's fewer taps to get to the application controls.  It's part of a good UX.

I was very surprised to unlock my phone this morning to watch the widget vanish right before my eyes (as the update that removed it was delivered 7 hours ago).  I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what broke, only to discover that nope, it wasn't broken - Spotify had intentionally removed a major feature.

I mean, yay, we have a progress bar that looks like a light saber when listening to Star Wars, or we have Stranger Things mode  <eyeroll to both of those>.  But we can't have a Widget?  What are your priorities?

Removing this is a horrible idea.  Restoring it is the right thing to do.

Do the right thing, Spotify.  Don't make us wait 4-5 years for a new widget (that's how long we waited for a fix to the library song limit - and now that you've brought us something that's workable - even though there's no migration tool - now you've taken something ELSE that is a key feature and made it worse).

Listen to your customers, and PUT IT BACK.