Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android][Other] Modernize app icon to support Android 13 Material You device theming

Android 13 has introduced the required API to theme app icons based on user color themes.

The Spotify app is a perfect candidate for this style of theming given the fact it's a simple icon that can be colored and themed independently from the actual shape of the icon.

The implantation of the themed icon is relatively simple for a developer and would only require at MOST 3 hours of work for infinite benefit to users. The actual change in reality is setting a simple XML flag and pointing to the monochrome logo.

There's a list of apps which are adding support for this feature here: https://9to5google.com/2022/08/27/android-13-themed-icons/

It's a good plan to add it soon because currently users consider the Spotify app icon because it's an eye sore compared to other themed app icons.

The updated Material You logo is now present in the Alpha + Beta channels. However, I would say either the monochrome icon needs to be shrunk slightly, OR Spotify should drop the solid circle from the monochrome logo, and leave the 3 lines as solid instead of the 3 lines being a cut out.

Updated on 2022-09-05

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
OscarDC
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2022-09-02

Hello @ Andrewcpu,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. 

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Andrewcpu

@OscarDC I think we've hit the amount of votes requires!

Oxuris

The latest Spotify Beta includes the themed icon!

Screenshot_20220903-213048~2.png

Andrewcpu

Yay! I like it but I wish they made it the inverse of what it currently is, so no blue circle but the three line should be blue and they should use the colored icon background as the Spotify circle

Oxuris

Yeah I get what you mean. I think it looks alright with dark mode enabled but without it it seems a bit weird

Screenshot_20220904-082743.png

Prodeus_Unity

am i the only one who has an extreme dislike for material you, to me the apps lost their charater which made them stand out to me.

Andrewcpu

@Prodeus_Unity the app internally isn't themed, and material you is toggleabble from the launcher. The normal icon remains if you choose not to use themed icons.. it's a basic switch if you don't like it 

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2022-09-05

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

harvasyuk

This icon should be a bit smaller in "themed" mode. 

How it currently looksHow it currently looksHow it should've beenHow it should've been

Picture on the left: spotify's implementation

Picture on the right: Icon from a magisk module some random indian guy made in his spare time before A13 was even released

Is this a joke?