Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Remove the Shuffle / Play Button

Hi, I tried out your new design, which I have mixed feelings about, but nevermind that. The most annoying thing I come over in the new Spotify (for iPhone by the way) is the dumb, big, overlapping, unnecessary shuffle play button that pops up everywhere. Is this a bug or is this on purpose? Could at least had add an option for it. Also, it doesn't look streamlined at all with the current design. Did it even occur that not everyone wants a shuffle play button?

Updated on 2020-11-04

Hey folks,
As some of you will have noticed, this has changed on iOS.
We've updated the idea, so that we can update everyone more accurately with regards to Android.
We're marking this as a 'Good idea', too.
Please know that your feedback is reaching the right teams here.

We'll post an update if anything changes!
Thanks

Comments
PeterJenkins

I'd be happy if they just made it possible to configure it as a Play button OR a Shuffle Play button within the settings for Premium users. Or the other option is they could make the album artwork itself the play button, this is how it works in Google Play Music IIRC, and have a separate Shuffle button below it. That would be logical and intuitive, plus easy for people using it while driving

Paulmidders

I was mistaken with the new iOS GUI. I thought it was just a play button. But sadly just a shuffle. As you say so much better to make the artwork the play button. It’s better. But no cigar. 
This is great product. If nothing else make it customisable, then everyone is happy. 

biv_3

I personally have never used the Shuffle Play button. I prefer to listen to albums and playlists in the order they were created in.

1. Add an option to change the button's function: Play OR Shuffle Play
  2. Change the button to Play (people can always turn on shuffle once they play something)
jmstump

This feels like it was designed by someone who has never seen a play button on any other device that when pushed plays things sequentially. Also the fact that it's marked as "Not Right Now" is typical "our engineer who designed this function this way will die on this hill before giving someone the option because they randomize everything they listen to"

At least give us the option to change this function. Most humans see a play button and don't think "HEY COOL RANDOM BUTTON BRO!" They think "Ah yes the button that starts sounds in the sequential order that a musician intended"

I'd argue this is poor visual design. If it's mean to be a shuffle button it shouldn't look like a play button in any way shape or form.

vman2000

I'm starting to agree with others who said driving people down the random route allows Spotify to apply algorithms that pick songs in an order that they pay less for. It stinks; its a poor, unpopular feature or at least lack of feature and it makes no sense why they would stick with it so long.

Robvalentine

this button would be useful if it wasn't shuffle. or at least had an option for shuffle and non-shuffle. Shuffle in playlists is ok, albums. No. Hard NO. Just because facebook make your timeline unusable with the randomised setting, doesn't mean album playback has to be randomised and made unusable. 

The shuffle only idea is terrible.  I have playlists in a particular order for a reason.  Come on.  Fix this.  

raeqtw123sz4udr

Remove the Shuffle button, please

bobby9036

Shuffling albums makes zero sense. Please reconsider, Spotify.

Billus

The first and most prominent button should always be 'play/pause'(in order). Trust me, it's common sense and could save lives, the amount of times I've hit that button, got in the car only to have to struggle to sort it out half way down the road.