Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Developer] MacOS Monterey Spatial Audio Support for Spotify

Briefly,

Implement Spatial Audio feature on macos platform like iOS.

Apple provides a simulated Spatial Audio feature in macOS Monterey for apps that add their plugin. Doing so enables Spotify for Mac listeners to take advantage of new Spatial Audio features on AirPod Pros and other supported headphones and requires little effort from development. You've closed like this idea before. However, we recommend that you read carefully, this is a different platform not iOS, this is MAC OS.

Updated on 2022-08-07

Hey! Looks like your idea is on the road again! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues to reach more users and grows fast.

Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Aamon9130

Very good idea. With the new AirPods Pro we need Spatial Audio on Spotify or the people will start to leave. The other platform have spatial audio, lossless audio and a much competitive price. Everything is better on the other platform but the search engine, song generator (radios), daily mixes, etc. I like Spotify and I want to keep using it.

I'm a bit confused, and I'd appreciate it if someone could please explain to me the logic here. I have a new iPhone 14 Pro. I have a 2021 Macbook Pro with Apple Silicon M1 Max chip. I have the newly released Apple AirPod Pro 2s. When I listen to SPOTIFY on my iPhone, I can use spatial audio, and it sounds amazing. But when I listen to Spotify on my MacBook Pro, the option to listen in spatial audio is not available. If I use Apple Music on my MacBook Pro, there spatial audio works.

So why would Spotify have a feature that works only in its phone app, but not on its computer app? That makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. Like zero logic, none whatsoever. So my only options are to listen to music ONLY on my phone, or use ONLY Apple Music on my computer? Please confirm so I can IMMEDIATELY cancel my 7 Spotify Subscriptions and immediately get 7 Apple Music subscriptions.

And yes, I pay for 7 accounts for my family and employees.

Thanks in advance!

Aamon9130

@121018599 

They don't support it. It's just Apple that have an algorithm that can emulate Spatial Audio on iphone/ipad or spotify on Safari browser.

gb1984

Yes please, it's frustrating forcing us to use the web player in safari in order to enable the spatial audio. As you well know the web player has much slower response time when starting a song, clicking a list, etc. And you can't filter in playlists and probably much more I haven't discovered yet 🙂

Arkadiy_Polidovets

I use Safari only for Spotify instead of Spotify desktop app for MacOS because of Spacial Audio. It's a must update.

kaderrrrr

Please, let's add the spatial audio function to the desktop app already. Such a hassle to switch between my iPhone and Mac all the time. I am also used to the desktop app, so switching to the web player on Safari is just such a downgrade. Apple Music is way ahead here, thinking of switching, gotta get the best out of my AirPods. ://

voa257

Spatial audio support on macOS would be a great feature!

taqi

Lets get this done. its 2023 already.

bee2

Are we ever going to get this feature? 🤔

fredericc

I'm absolutly shocked this feature is not implemented yet. Alternative services does it already since a long time now. As a world leader service I don't understand the poor quality of the apps (not only Macos).