Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Other] Option to maximize album cover in fullscreen

I suspect this was an oversight in the latest update, but the album cover is now tiny in full-screen mode, making room for the background on the artist's profile instead. There seems to be no way to maximize the album cover, which I'd rather be looking at. I'd like that option back!

unknown.png

Updated on 2021-08-03

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
bzero

Oh WOW Spotify! You really listen to your fans!

With version 1.2.14.1149.ga3ae422d you made the cover artwork even smaller on Desktop. WOW!

Sorry: what are you doing? I want the cover BIG! 

bzero

Wow Spotify, really amazing how big you made the cover art with the latest release 1.2.14....

Do your UX designers really think this is a great user experience? Really awesome.

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 13.11.02.png

agentGav

I got very bored of waiting, so I made my own. 

https://dgen.net/0/2023/07/05/bringing-album-art-back-to-life/

If someone would like to write, or point to, a better version that uses the Spotify API, that'd be great, but this works for me and I now have album art on my wall and no Spotify getting in the way of it. It's every bit as good as we all know we wanted. 

hans-jürgen

Implemented in desktop version 1.2.15.828, see also this idea:
[Desktop][Other] Full-size album artwork - The Spotify Community

Here is a screenshot of how it looks now:

hansjrgen_0-1689419402826.png

I still would like to see the back cover of an album as well, as it can show important details e.g. in classical music like performers, date and location of recording etc. This could be realized with a double click on the album cover of an album page perhaps.

Not sure if I mentioned it already in this old thread, but if you scrobble your Spotify listening to Last.fm, there is another workaround available with the online tool Descent which shows the currently scrobbling track in fullscreen mode. You can enable additional infos on the screen in the settings if you want, also choose between artist or album as the background image etc.:

hansjrgen_0-1689419899295.png

It's using the Spotify artist images, by the way, not the ones from Last.fm. Album images might still come from Last.fm though.

W151

@hans-jürgen That is not the same thing as this issue. This is for the full screen mode where the album cover is laughably small. What's been implemented is great for viewing the album art bigger just once when not in full screen mode, but is not a solution for this issue. 

guidedpath

I am looking to be able to full screen the Spotify desktop app and have it show the album art large enough to fill the screen. This used to be a feature but now when you full screen, the album art shrinks to a thumbnail and it displays the artist's Spotify banner image.

This is not an original request, but an identical thread was not suggested to me in search.

I love the idea of being able to full screen my computer while music is playing and being able to see and enjoy the album art large, like I would display an LP while it is playing on the record player.

I think it would be a matter of being able to just click the album art thumbnail while in full screen mode or even while it is just in the corner of the un-fullscreened player.

Thanks

spot45

How is this still an issue? its such an easy fix. I do not want to see a random picture of the artist full screen, i want to see the album cover, and everyone else obviously does too. Why hasn't this been addressed in the 2 years this thread has been up? 

Lifuu

Spotify has been doing a lot against the request of its users in recent years and it's understandable why some people have become frustrated. Even when Spotify does implement something that has been requested, they often take something else away. This has left many people asking why? Unfortunately, the answer to this question is likely to be money and control. By taking away certain features, Spotify can gain more control over its service and, in turn, make more money. This makes sense from a business point of view, but it can be frustrating for users who were hoping for more features and better user experience. Ultimately, Spotify needs to balance its bottom line with user satisfaction and, unfortunately, this often means sacrificing features and user requests.

darth_bhyrava

23 pages of comments, mostly echoing the same sentiment. It's very annoying that I can't see album art (which I love and associate with the music) over some random artist GIF. It takes away from the whole experience. I wonder what commerical reasons are driving Spotify to blatantly ignore such a simple fix. 

Dáire_McDermott

bro please