Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Support Notifications on Mac

I would appreciate it if Spotify on macOS could support desktop notifications (current song etc.) via Apple's Notification Center.

This is  basic functionality that's provided by almost every other Mac app I can think of. Spotify has offered it in the past, and indeed there's still a zombie preference setting ("Show dekstop notifications when the song changes"). I'm irritated at not having something as simple as notifications, and I feel insulted by a preference setting that doesn't work.

I'm proposing this here because it seems to have been last raised as an Idea in 2012 and set to Not Right Now status in 2019. That was a long time ago. This Idea is therefore a follow-up to this more recent discussion on the subject. Mod MafeG invited us to raise the issue on the Idea Exchange, so that's what I've done.

Updated on 2021-12-21

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
ashloni

Almost a year since your last update? How is that a multi-billion dollar company can't implement a simple feature (that has already existed in the past!) in one year?

Nickoterba

still want this feature............

dpsk

still waiting...

babilungam

Seems so simple to implement 
You can just leave it as an option in the settings 
I just want to see the name of the song when it changes

djkdjkdjk3

Just switched back to Spotify from Amazon Music and can't believe this feature was removed and still hasn't been reintroduced. I wish a product manager could explain why.

Reiszecke

Since Spotify ignores this request, you can simply download https://www.spotify-notifications.app/ 

Installed like 5 years ago and it does the job more than the Spotify team does.

It's ridiculous you have to ask for a feature that already existed to return back to the app.

yarvolk

Hi @Spotify,
I think it's time to bring this feature back to the app!

Aren't you using Mac computers at your office? How come you think it is OK to let it slip?
Basic features MUST be working.

Thank you!

yarvolk

A friendly follow up on this topic! Common now, it's been a few years already....

pg8wood

Hey all, long time Apple Music user here trying out Spotify Premium for a month. Super surprised this doesn't exist, and might churn back to Apple Music. A notification or at least a "now playing" widget would make for a better listening experience on macOS.

InSasquatchCountry

I found an open source app for MacOS that has this as a feature.

https://github.com/davicorreiajr/spotify-now-playing

Works great for music, although it doesn't seem to know what to do with podcasts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯