Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Find public Playlists that contain Song/Artist

My theory (not rocket science):

If someone else's playlist includes a song or artists that I like, there is a good change that I will enjoy the rest of their playlist. 

Currently, you can only search for public playlists via playlist name.  Considering that most people do not name their playlists to accurately reflect the type of music it contains, I believe that the current search functionality is quite limited. 

Spotify should have functionality to search for public playlists that contain a song/artist.  I think would be immensly helpful for music discovery.  

Best of luck, 

Ryan

P.S. - Down the line, it would be interesting to see "similarity scores" between two playlists.  Could be quite interesting for finding new music.  

Updated on 2019-10-31

Hey folks.

Thanks again for all your votes and comments.
We're still keeping an eye on this idea, but at this time we don't have an update.

Comments
guido1

This feature is a MUST if they really care about users and maximizing enjoyment of music. However, my theory is they want to influence what we listen to and don’t listen to, to save them royalties. User-curated lists will tend to have better versions of songs etc. I end up listening to more cr@p than I would do, for convenience, and due to lack of decent search. It is to do with profiteering IMO, but short sighted.

rvlq-hp_nkqzg

To the person in the comments searching for a product that allows you to search for similar songs in public playlists, 8tracks allows this. It's a playlist OG.

Goodman
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2019-10-31

Hey folks.

Thanks again for all your votes and comments.
We're still keeping an eye on this idea, but at this time we don't have an update.

eointpayne
You are aware that this is the problem, right? The response isn't helpful,
it is just indicative of what everyone on here is saying.

Took years for a non-response.

Is this issue on a teams backlog? Is it even logged as an enhancement? Has
it been spike to determine if it could even be a quick win / intern project
/ hackathon idea?

Rudwolf

This is ridiculous... for me as a programmer I can say it's a very quick thing to implement.. 

Why do you listen to users and then give them a BIG "no no"?

I'm really considering swithcing to another music service that satisfies me in all those aspects.

Since the removal of the lyrics from the desktop and mobile interface I knew something was not going right inside there... it's a shame!

guido1

Well said

TimeAmpala

@per you guys are worthless

Guys i can assure you that we will never gonna see this feature happen. Spotify's aim to control at a maximum level the way we discover and consume music so they have leverage on the music industry when it comes to negotiating deals with them.

That's the reason why they pushed private playlists out of the front page, purchased big private playlists all over the world or simply copy them and thats why they push their own playlists.

Mark my word.
guido1

I absolutely agree with you that this is the real reason behind it (similar to my theory above 5 Sept).  Makes me angry because it is not putting the customer or 'experience' first contrary to their assertions.  Hopefully competition will force a different approach.

brooks29

This is the kind of feature that would help Spotify stand out again. A user-led playlist community with *~natural~* music discovery. It would make more of a difference in those "Spotify vs Apple Music" articles than a library UI update that nobody cares about.

Spotify and Apple offer essentially the same service at this point, and eventually Google is going to figure out their streaming service and come for the Android Users... Do something unique Spotify!! Specifically this because your community has been voting for it for 7 years now