Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] New Releases Section for Followed Artists INSTEAD of Release Radar Playlist

This is a follow-up to this idea: New Releases Section for Followed Artists by @MattSuda.

While the original idea currently has over 1,300 votes, Spotify's answer was that the Release Radar playlist meets the need presented. I don't think this is true, and I have doubts that the +1,000 people who voted do, either.

So this new idea is an attempt to gauge the level of support for a true New Releases from Followed Artists section in spite of the existence of the new Release Radar playlist.

We want a feed that:

• Shows new releases ONLY from the artists we follow, and shows ALL new releases from the artists we follow
  • Shows releases neatly in chronological order, with clear headings showing the full release date (day, month, and year)
  • Neatly presents new releases in the form they were released (i.e., EP's and Albums are shown as such rather than as a list of all songs within them -- or make this a toggle option)
  • Goes back in time as far as possible (preferably all time, to show all releases from our Followed Artists in chronological order)
  • Clearly indicates which releases are new to us since our last visit
  • Has a number badge on the button for the section that tells us if there are new releases since our last visit, and how many
  • Not crucial but nice to have: Can be filtered by time frame, artist, release type (album, EP, single), country, genre, etc.

Updated on 2020-06-26

Hey folks,
We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this newly presented idea.
We're setting this to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

We'll continue passing your feedback along to the right teams too.
Thanks

Comments
freebox1

YES !!!!!!! 

kinzamucke

Please!

almp

I totally agree with this new follow-up idea ! I hope Spotify will create this very usefull feature. Thanks d-roam for this topic !

allanthuesen

"Album Only" is key feature for me!

MarceloAvalos

This is a really great idea!

acrookedsmile

Yes, this is precisely a feature I need to have, but that is not in any way satisified by "Release Radar". Well described.

DanDare5

Completely agree, a 30 song playlist that is continuously refreshed (and often full of stuff that you don't actually listen to) like the release radar one, is ok for a quick listen now and then but this would be a excellent way of keeping up with all of your favourite followed artists in one centralised place.

It would work well as another feed to sit above the "new releases for you" and "because you listened to" sections within the discover tab but would just promote your followed artists rather than linked/similar ones.

The point about the numbered badge when new songs etc. are added would be excellent too.

MattSuda

Thank you for posting this idea. I still very much want to see this implemented.

However, I don't see how having 2 ideas for the same thing helps. It splits the vote into 2 ideas. I already have updated my idea some time ago to say that I do not find the release radar acceptable and I have left a comment reply to it stating the same. Other supporters have also commented that they don't want release radar to be the solution. The idea guardians that manage the ideas exchange might see this too and decide to close this idea. I guess we will see.

d-roam

Thanks for the comment, @MattSuda. I agree, it's generally not a good thing to have two dupes out there splitting votes. Only reason I did was to hopefully get some momentum going on conveying support for the type of New Releases section that (I think) you really asked for.

It's obvious Spotify grossly misinterpreted your idea, to have claimed the Release Radar fulfills it, when the Release Radar doesn't meet ANY of the bullet points I listed--all of which I would think would be obviously implied by your Idea. In fact, you specifically said "[...] where we can see all of the new releases from the artists we follow." The Release Radar fails miserably at this, missing many releases from artists we follow and throwing in clutter from several we don't. But of course you know this.

So I created this new idea to clarify those points and hopefully add some momentum. I'm happy with this idea being marked as a duplicate or merged into yours, so long as Spotify simultaneously acknowledges that your idea at the very least implied the first one of those bullet points, if not all of them (I guess that's up to you), and updates the status accordingly.

Feel they did this **bleep** would be dope.