Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Custom Start & Ending Times for a Track

Hi.

I'm a big electronic music lover and there is only one feature i would like added to spotify. The option to choose a part of the track i would like to play and have the settings saved.

In the world of electronic music there is almost allways 2-3 minute build ups, and not many radio mixes of each track.

This can be a problem when having a party and a track lasts for 7 minutes with 3 of them is a buildup that not everyone would like to listen to.

It would be nice to have a feature like this that i can change on each track, just drag 2 buttons to a start and end point. and maybe have a 3-5 second fade on where i choose to set them.

Made a quick illustration on what i mean. Spotify proposition.jpg

Updated on 2018-10-25

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
skeddles

we need this. far too many songs made for DJs with 2 minute intros and outros. music listening shouldn't have to be a hands on experience.

tammy7625

Any chance you could revisit this request? It is possible on other music services like iTunes so i'm getting to the point of switching. 

Lumixian

Post was made in 2012 and still no change, lol. Tfw Spotify doesn't implement something that's actually consumer-friendly and doesn't necessarily boost their bottom line.

Kojoman

Eh, what do you mean Spotify? The feature obviously exists already. The only question is how ordinary users can access it. Try skip a track in this playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX5Q27plkaOQ3?si=APzoPecrS3e942db09AeDw there is obviously cue points added here. 

So Spotify, how can we do this?

Carloes

Hey guys,

Which of the competitors of Spotify does have this function? I'm strongly considering switching due to the weak response to this feature request which was already in WinAmp 10 years ago.

Scottacus

Lol yeah, it was in SoundJam (pre-cursor to iTunes) back in 1999. I suspect it's not a technical issue at all, but a licensing one. That's the only thing that makes senst to me. If we could create custom start and end times, and we can already adjust the overlap between songs, then in theory we could create stuff that borderlines on remixes. This is probably the same reason you can't do this on Apple Music, either, unless the song is in your library.

Any sort of clarification from Spotify would be great, other than the "we're not planning on doing it" line they've given multiple times. If it were going to happen, it would have by now.

0xnf
I also think it is a licensing issue, and would appreciate Spotify saying so rather than the deceptive “not right now” the offer every handful of years.
Kojoman

Since it is possible somehow via their API or whatever, it really is sh**ty not to offer it to the ones who want it. Like the reorder-your-playlists-service that some spotifyer has published that gives you the opportunity to sort by bpm etc.  I get it, not every user want that so it would bloat the user interface to have all those options in the app. But just give us a programming interface so that we can add those cue points through programming or what ever. Give us a hint Spotify. How can we also do this? 

Instead I have to switch to djay 2 on my phone to do this. 

So a tip, until Spotify throw us a bone. Download djay 2, connect your Spotify account. Sort your list by BPM, add your cue points for each track, and start your auto mix and djay 2 will do the rest. 

andrewgvn2

This is a much needed feature for people that love electronic music and a majority of labels only release the extended/original mixes on Spotify. It would save so much hassle if we could customize our own start/end points for specific tracks in our playlists. At this point, I'm thinking of moving to a different service or just buying the tracks and cancelling my premium.

a_pburtbw-h6j

It would be an awesome feature!!