Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Import & Export Music

I love my playlists. I've added to my starred playlist for about two years now, and I always wonder what I'd do if my playlists were somehow wiped. So how about something that would rest my mind, the ability to back up your playlists to say, a text file containing all your songs, and then you can import your playlist if it somehow goes missing! This would be an ace feature as I see some people are having issues with duplicate accounts and their playlists being wiped.

This would also making sharing playlists between friends even easier!

TL;DR: Let us export our playlists to a text file, and then import our playlists whenever we like.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
Jeremy_brock

For the meanwhile, musconvtool may be of help to you. worked for me very fine. 

Jacko31970

I used this FREE tool to analyse my playlist before selecting all (ctrl+A) then copy/paste into excel.  This gave me a list which I then used to create pivot tables.  http://sortyourmusic.playlistmachinery.com/index.html

mattnighorn

[Music] Import & Export Music---To have this set to Not Right Now when the majority of all other music streaming apps have this feature is naive and doesn't make us very happy as paying members.  You would think that after 1700 votes for this, your developers would strongly reconsider.  Or just bring back the copy/paste feature into the body of your playlist so that if you were savvy enough to export the song links, you could paste them back into another list with ease instead of finding all 376 songs individually to add to a playlist.

marley_and_i

Hello Spotify, I am adding this comment here rather than open a new thread.
I know (or rather: I guess) you don't want to make Spotify similar to the more-technical software for playing liquid music audiophiles have on their computers. And I can agree to Spotify having a separate identity (for example, the settings speak of different music quality but don't bring to users' notice questions about bits, KHzs, formats, and other technical stuff. And I am OK with that. There are plenty of other apps if one is after all that.)

However, losing our playlists (due to losing access to the account, for one example) is really a fearsome prospect to many. I would add a function akin to the "export sessions" in the best browsers. The user downloads a file containing all the data with his/her playlists. Such a file could be imported back to Spotify at later times (it hasn't to work with other software, we aren't asking that much :D).

thank you

liamparker

Playlist is life. I created several playlists so I can choose which one to play when I feel like dancing, get moody, feel so inlove, etc. I recently tried Musconv tool and was so happy that I got to import my tracks to other platforms without any hassle. And now I get to enjoy my playlists more wherever I go. You can try it too; check their site here https://musconv.com/.

jf38

If you need to update the Spotify account, it seems like you need to create another account.  For premium members, if the options cannot be made available at least allow us to export and import the the lists.  Maybe auto save function of material can be offered?

somarm1113

My wife just switched over from another service and had a hard time going to find some of the music she had on the service, also very time consuming specially when its several hundred songs she had saved.. i thought it might be good idea if she could screenshot the music and import the pictures and have spotify import the songs to her favorites and she could then decide if it was the song she had or not. I could see that being a hassle for other people trying to switch over also, but if this was made possible could make things alot easier. THIS IS NOT THE SAME IDEA AS THIS BUT IT GOT FLAGGED AS IT WAS. MY IDEA IS FOR PEOPLE COMING IN FROM ANOTHER SERVICE TO MAKE IT EASIER TO FIND THE MUSIC THEY HAD IN THE OTHER SERVICE .

MattQ

Playlists belong to the users that create them; It's our data!

Soon enough there will be regulations that require services like Spotify to implement import and export functionality. This underhanded way to lock in users won't fly much longer.

Once people realize it's shyte like this that tries to keep them captive they'll demand their freedom.

That or Spotify is trying to make it harder for their listeners to ask for certain songs in an attempt to control their licensing costs.

Either way there is no technical reason this wasn't implemented years ago other than Spotify trying to lock you in. Get woke people.

bzero
Wishful thinking! There are no legal regulations for import export and as
far as I know there is no initiative on the way that would demand that.
hans-jürgen

Check the Privacy tab of your Spotify account and read about your rights to access your data due to GDPR introduced in 2018, also click on the links mentioned there e.g. to download this data.