Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Remember Position in Playlist / Album

Please remember the current song playing in a playlist so if I switch away to a different playlist and then switch back, Spotify will know where I left off.

I often can't finish a playlist right away or my mood changes so I might switch to a different playlist. Later, I want to finish the previous playlist, not start over again.

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here. 

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-09-15

Hello @DAvisjohncid,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

ahamayush

Playlists for some are like mood, but its annoying to go back to the playlist played last evening and play the songs from No.1 in queue. It would be very helpful if at least last played song from that playlist is recognised and having an option to resume playlist from that song. It is fine to not see that option if playlist is updated, or if its not available for auto generated playlist.

Alex

Updated on 2021-09-25

Hello @ahamayush,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

SasjaSofie

It would be awesome to have a button where you can continue a playlist after listening to other music on Spotify. 

For example; if you have a playlist you listen to at work, and want to listen to Spotify when you get home. You don’t have so start all over with shuffle the next day. You can just pick up the playlist where you left it and then don’t listen to the same songs again and again 

MafeG

Updated on 2021-10-13

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

Cheers!

ig5q9b3hq-_dc

Hello! This is a re-submission. My previous issue was closed because it was interpreted as a duplicate idea, citing this idea. However, I can use an example to illustrate the difference. Additionally, below this example, I have included the original text from the first submission.

EXAMPLE: I have about 400 songs on my running playlist and, when I run, I'd rather go through all 400 songs on a specific shuffle each time I go through rather than re-shuffle the playlist each time I run. Obviously I don't get to all 400 songs in one run 🙂 usually only 10-20, and when I reshuffle the playlist every time I start a run, I either potentially have songs I never get to, or have some songs repeated very quickly.  I like each song on there and want to hear them all before shuffling them again, and don't want them played in the same order each time I play the playlist. However, I also like other music on other playlists when I'm not running! When I'm doing other things, I'd love to listen to any other song, artist, or playlist without having to worry about "losing my spot" in my running playlist. This scenario goes for my "shower time" playlist as well 🙂 and could see it applying to many people and playlists.

This is different from the cited duplicate because I would not like to create a new playlist each time I shuffle, I just would like to keep track of the "current shuffle" while I explore other music, and be able to return to it, starting from the song I was listening to when I left the shuffle/queue.

------------------ORIGINAL TEXT----------------------

I'd like to be able to keep track of a queue that was generated when I shuffled a playlist. If I leave the playlist and queue to play another song, I should be able to come back to the original playlist and continue that queue, starting from the song I last listened to when I "left" the queue.

In the back end, this potentially requires a pointer to the last song I played and the array of metadata (representing the remainder of the queue) that I believe was already in memory anyway. You could garbage collect the bookmarked shuffles if the number of bookmarked shuffles becomes too large or at a regular and configurable cadence.

In the UI, this would require an extra button/option to either re-shuffle the playlist or continue playing the previous shuffle from the bookmark forward. Another component would be a warning popup that would come up when you are about to lose the previous queue/shuffle that would say "do you want to bookmark this shuffle from playlist <playlist-name>?"

Thanks for listening to feedback! Love the app so much!

Ver

Updated on 2021-10-17

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

Cheers!

This would be great!

Ethan-Hogge

This needs to happen, I’m so sick of accidentally clicking songs and then having to redo my shuffle and listen to the same songs over and over, or not being able to listen to my other playlists at different times because I don’t want to ruin my main playlist shuffle

kaitlynhogge

Yes please!!