Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Profile] Reset Taste Profile / History

Please allow for a reset option, so you can start all over again with a clean sheet.

For now, you have to start over with an entirely new account to do just that. And for that you need to contact Customer Support. Not very convenient.

Updated on 2020-02-26

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks

Comments
quinla01

Spotify handed over the DW project to the intern. 

kcsgator

Ridicuolous to NOT have a reset ability on playlist preferences.  People's preferences change all the time - sometime as often as you, Spotify, send out updates on your products.

Please create this option as over 2,675 of us, AND COUNTING, are requesting.  Obviously we know that we'll have to start from scratch on our preferences again.  Our choice. 

Rhisiel

I posted about this over a year ago, and I am coming back to say NOTHING has improved. It is not the starting from scratch that is a problem, some of us are on family accounts. We PAY for this service and cannot suddenly start with a new email address. COME ON. 

I listen to random nature sounds when I study and sleep, and it has RUINED my discover, obviously I don't need an identical rain track recommended to me. Discover used to be great for finding new music from artists I actually actively listen too....no longer. 

rpangelastro

Since Spotify wants to go the "Apple" route and ignore its customers, I decided to switch to Tidal.  Clean slate!  And better sound!!

You don't have plans to implement this but you don't recommend making a whole new account either.. I don't get it. Why not? It's clearly something people want and a feature the platform needs. My wife has been using google home to play spotify for months and apparently it was connected through my account. Now my discover weekly and daily mix is worse than Apple music recommendations. Spotify costs twice as much since you guys won't give us the education pricing that Apple gives and the discover weekly and daily mixes were worth it.

ThorZ

What is then the correct way Spotify recomends us for reseting Discover Weekly? Mine is completely useless as I only get nature sounds that are fine to sleep but nothing else! I have recently started using the Private session function when I listen to these kind of tracks but Discover Weekly hasn't still pick the hint that I don't want these kind of recommendations anymore 😕

MelGrubb

Spotify's suggestions have somehow decided that I like Synthwave and some pretty awful rap. I don't know what orifice the suggestion engine pulled this from, but it has absolutely nothing to do with my tastes. I need a way to tell Spotify that it needs to forget everything and start over, perhaps by seeding itself with my actual playlists. I understand the suggestion engine being skewed by things I've actually done like that Steel Panther bender I went on a few years ago. It took a while to recover from that, but at least it wasn't this awful **bleep** it's playing at me now.

ThorZ

This is the only way I found to fix Discover Weekly:

THE PROBLEM:

I started using Spotify 1 month ago and committed the mistake to listen to relaxing music and nature sounds tracks the whole night during my first week of use without using Private session. My Discover weekly list have been damaged since week one because of this, filled only with these kind of tracks. Spotify supposedly ignores when you play this kind of tracks and don't take them into account for recommending you new music (an example is when your kids use your account to play kid's music, when you play Christmas songs, when you play relaxing tracks at night), but clearly this is not working as designed. I tried listening to music I like during the day after this to fix Discover weekly but the next 2 weeks the list was always the same, filled with relaxing tracks.

THE SOLUTION:

1. Always activate Private session before playing anything that I do not want to be counted by the algorithm as within my taste.
  2. I used the (-) button beside every song been suggested by Discover weekly, choosing "I don't like this song". I did the same with the other playlists inside the Made For You section, the ones called Your Daily Mix.
  3. I created playlists and filled them up with all the music I could find within my tastes. Also used the heart button in many songs I really liked.
  4. I played my playlists 24/7 almost during one whole week. I just left Spotify opened on my Mac and used the repeat function.

After doing this my Discover weekly was forced into suggesting music that I actually like and this week it was great.

Until Spotify make available an easier way to reset the recommendations algorithm this is the only way I could find to manually force it back on track again.

I hope this helps.

MelGrubb
I understand about the private session, and I use it all the time. My problem is that my suggestions seem to have gone off on a tangent unrelated to what I’ve actually listened to lately. I can’t imagine why I’m getting French Hip-Hop when I mostly listen to Industrial and EBM music. The Synthwave I can almost understand because there’s some weird connection between EBM and Synthwave that I don’t get at all, but the number of people who are into both must be statistically significant somehow. I certainly know a few who cross that line. I’m just not one of them, and I’d like a way to flush the cache of information about me and start over because Spotify clearly has me all wrong..
margie0968

They won't implement the history reset because they don't want to, not because they are not able  or whatever other reason. Simple and plain. No matter how many thousands of users will ask for it. I'm trying the premium feature for 2 months,  but don't think I will go on, after the trial period. My DW is full of **bleep** that my son used to listen for a couple of days, all night long. And there is no way to swipe it. Seriously, Amazon music is coming: Spotify, do you really want to loose a lot of your customers?