Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[Search] Search by BPM (Beats per Minute)

Hi All,

As someone who loves punishing my body by going for long runs,  a good playlist to keep me company is essential!

Picking out and discovering which 'choons' are going to speed me up and push me further can be tricky.

One trick used by many runners is to search out and find songs which all have a similar number of beats per minute so they can place them in order and then use the beat of the song to run to.

As such, it would be awesome to be able to search Spotify for songs which have specific ranges of BPM and then pick the cool [subjective] ones for inclusion in your playlists.

Cheers!

Updated on 2018-08-23

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

While we don't have plans for Search by BPM right now, we're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea.

We'll continue to check out the feedback here too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.

Thanks!

Comments
Lustlos

Any update on this feature?

Melody
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2018-08-23

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

While we don't have plans for Search by BPM right now, we're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea.

We'll continue to check out the feedback here too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.

Thanks!

stefanbodensee

Holy smoke, this is the second time you point out this 'being a good idea', the last time was about 4 or 5 years or so. We meanwhile have 11 pages asking for this since 2012 - are you that blind ?  If this is all you have to write, keep it for yourself. We do not want to know that you are aware of this and keep it in mind - but want either to know why there is no plans to do sorting by bpm - or when this will finally be released. Never forget that we pay the money --> which pays your fee - so ignoring a request like this might not be the best service behaviour. Jesus, what is the real reason why this minimum basic feature is being blocked by spotify since ages ????

CopyCatFilms

This is ridiculous. iTunes has had a BPM category filter for at least 5 years...

what exactly are we paying for? A system that doesn't really SHUFFLE ever (plays songs based on popularity or industry deals) and often replaces versions with terrible "remakes" or edited PG versions? Seriously, c'mon.

stefanbodensee
I suppose ( since more than five years ) that there are specific laws
restrictions preventing Spotify to implement this feature. The filter
itself is so easy to implement that this technical reasons can´t be the
main argument. Maybe they are afraid that Spotify can be used for
professional jobs by DJs taking money for that - which Spotify does not
want to allow. But, this isfor nothing - as there are already
applications using Spotify as song source in the background - which have
filters for BPM since alonger time ...
VinnyJ

There's so many people on this thread. Not to speak of all the people, runners, sporters in general, instructors from all sorts, who would love a function like this, but are not active in the community. I like Spotify a lot, looks good, easy to use, etc. But if there was an alternative company with an app similar to Spotify included this function, I'd switch in a heartbeat. So therefor I reply hope Spotify has an good reason for not implementing in all those years. And I'm wondering why they're not telling us why. 

stefanbodensee

Me too, believe me, me too! 🙂

Most likely because that sw should not directly be used by DJs (meaning for business purposes). The filtering
is only possible by using add-on apps which use Spotify as a base for tracks, like DJay Pro or similar ...

buddybunch

This is anot her great feature for fitness instructors who teach classes where the try to at heart up bpm to rpm (indoor cycling) or pace (running). 

Philldunphy

Yes! This is a very good idea!

twigleg2

I'm not so concerned about 'searching' by BPM, but you need to let us 'sort' by BPM.  I don't know why your sort and filter options are so limited when those are the easiest to implement.