Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Rooms/Shared Listening Concept

Hello there!

I know this idea has been brought up before, but all those ideas were several years ago by now, and I couldn't find a recent discussion about this.

Imagine having "rooms" within Spotify, where you can listen together, simultaneously, to the same track with everybody else in the room, no matter where in the world they are, and no matter what device they're using. You can step up and join the DJ queue, and all DJs in the room play one track, one after another. The friend feed on the right side turns into a chatbox, and you can communicate and talk about music while listening to the same tracks. Think tuntable.fm, plug.dj, jqbx.fm, ... but right inside Spotify!

Check out this Medium article by Austin Condiff I found today, detailing this concept (following mockup taken from that article). 

1_oe-EgKyDiW_zOdAENX2zbQ

I've been hoping to have some social aspect like this within Spotify, and I think this would enrich the community even further. You could create rooms based on genres or moods, and enjoy music together with friends and strangers alike. An upvote/downvote function would keep rooms democratic and true to their respective themes. 

The mentioned article perfectly explains the concept and benefits of this feature, please check it out! 

Thoughts?

Thanks and have a great day!

Updated on 2020-10-15

Hi everyone!

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your votes to this idea.

We're setting this to 'not right now' as we don't currently have any plans to implement this.
In the meantime, we do however now have the option to join a remote Group Session with all your friends and enjoy the same tracks simultaneously no matter how many miles apart you might be.

For more information be sure to check out our Support site page.

If we have any more info to share on this, rest assured we'll check back in here.
Thanks!

Comments
_Lee_R

I had been thinking the same thing, allow premium members to join a room with a HOST/DJ and fellow room members can add songs to the queue or upvote queued songs for increased play prioty, 2 votes beats a queue. The host could be given a right to set number of songs his or her can play before a members track is played. Only the DJ or person who queued the song would be able to skip and Host can quick invite people.

To find a group session a room ID could be generated which is then shared via social media or personally. Ideally the room could have a name and an amount of time it will be active for say for 24 hours of inactvity. If the upvote system and DJ playcount was implamented it would be no issues with large groups. Being able to queue a song without displaying your name would be a nice feature but only one song at a time should be allowed. Maybe also controllable by the DJ/HOST. 

We use spotify all the time in groups and the most annoying thing is you can not switch control easily without stopping and making a big deal about it and it really kills the vibes when trying to enjoy a good music session.

I think it would increase the number of people who subscribe along with making spotify a more preferable platform to listen on at the same time. I see many have already liked this idea.

caseyasparks

I've wanted this for a while now. It's high time Spotify made sharing rooms.

stijnbollen

Or you could just reopen the API and let users recreate a sounddrop like feaure/addon.

In which participants of a room can add new songs (max 250) (if allowed by the admin) and upvote songs (pushing them up the queue). Users can listen in or just be active in the queuing process. The limit allows unpopular songs the be dropped from the queue, but the admin can also remove songs. A songs that has been played is dropped back to the bottom of the list.

djMaximizer

Great feature, I would like to use it!

Moorningstaar

I would like to point out that Discord already has the ability to let people listen to what's playing in your spotify app.  Why isn't this available for other platforms?

berot3

I'm not very hopeful that we get this feature. To me it looks like Spotify relies on others to do the work for them.

There is also this app called Partify, which I have to try out. looks interesting. 

https://idealdev.dk/work/partify/

https://apps.apple.com/app/partify-party-playlist/id944519513 

PS: I'm not even sure why Spotify offers this ideas-section... Probably just to keep the forums more clean? Is there a statistic/list how many ideas actually made it to reality? would be most interesting.

WhatGoodIsMusic

Combine votes for all of the previous requests for this feature and it's a no brainer. 

sae907

Now that the "group session" has rolled out to more locations, is there a chance this feature gets actually moved along?  As we are social distancing, it would be great to stay connected through music with coworkers, friends, and family. 

While I miss some of the extras that products like turntable.fm offered (avatars, voting, etc), I would love to be able to just listen to the same song at (relatively) the same time with others.  

This needs to happen! The functionality is basically already in the app with "Group Sessions"... This just needs to be expanded to all devices participating!

alexk3105

In these crazy times due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Netflix Party has become a major hit. This extension for chrome allows you to watch the same TV series or film at the same time as your friends while communicating through a chat feature. While an extension like this is present for Spotify, it does not work. Like the new scan a barcode feature at a party, being able to listen to the same songs simultaneously from different houses, using a unique URL or numeric code to link the two, would be extremely useful. Thanks.

Here is a link to the current chrome extension: https://spotify.party