Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Jojo-rabbit

If this doesn’t get implemented soon, it will be the reason I cancel my Spotify subscription and move over to Apple Music. 

ZJack

That’s an interesting Apple developer link, certainly doesn’t look like they’re putting up barriers to integration on the HomePod does it? It looks like they’re inviting it!

Marrekk

They are not! Seems like Apple did 180° turn and even on the latest iOS 14.5 Beta when you say "Hey, Siri. Play Music" she asks on which platform and Spotify (or any other music app) can be set up as the default music player instead of Apple Music. So I don't need to constantly say "Hey, Siri. Play music ON SPOTIFY".

However what I don't like on Spotify - "Siri" picks a totally random playlist ... would be fine if Spotify had for this some sort of "personal radio" as Apple Music does. Something like when there is nothing playing and you just click the play button it will "magically" create a personal station (maybe with that "mood" feature which Spotify plans. 

And the second thing is I can't ask Siri to like this song because Spotify hasn't enabled this feature yet.

So far 4 things I miss on Spotify - HomePod support, macOS AirPlay, asking Siri to like song/dislike song / personalized radio station when you can't decide what you would like to listen to - actually going to make an idea for this! Oh actually it's created - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Random-Song-Button/idc-p/5150642 

qusarnii

Please bring the Spotify  support for HomePod . Stop playing games with your customers. 

I notice the timeline on their https://www.timetoplayfair.com website stops at June 2020 where Apple announced the updated APIs to allow them to work on HomePod. They still claim Apple is blocking them here, when the API was announced 8 months ago, and released to customers 4 months ago. It's starting to look a bit disingenuous.

What is going on Spotify? This feud with Apple is starting to make you look bad now, which is a shame because there are some genius concerns to raise over the App Store, but you can't raise issues as blockers and then do nothing when Apple removes those same blockers.

jdjammer

I am cancelling spotify today.  You have had plenty of time, and you are deciding to hurt your customers because of your pride/hate.  This is disgusting, you are the bad guys here Spotify.  

tryingtothink

This article which has attracted so far the single comment 'This is not news' seems to my reading suggest that Apple will create the Spotify access. I thought the way it worked, and as I believe Pandora gas done, that Spotify had to do something having months ago been given the opportunity.

I don't have Twitter which I think is the way the author can be contacted. Am I right? If so, perhaps someone who uses Twitter could alert Andrew Griffin to this and other threads on this topic.

Apple finally letting iPhone users change default music app to Spotify or other alternatives | The I...

ianhhh123
Done;-)
ZJack

My interpretation of this news is that it relates to iOS (and iPadOS) 14.5 upcoming release which gives the ability to change the default music app. AFAIK (I just tried this on my iPad, and I don't have 14.5 yet), if I say to siri "Listen to Led Zeppelin" she will tell me that I don't have Apple Music, but "Listen to Led Zeppelin on Spotify" and she will play it on Spotify. This coming update allows you to change the default music app to Spotify, meaning that you don't have to add "On Spotify" to every command. 
Apple has been hammered with antitrust initiatives around the world and is moving to make their system fairer to 3rd parties. It's great for everybody, especially the consumer, and anybody with an Apple product should be super happy with this update that only provides more freedom.

To be clear: I don't think it has anything to do with HomePod - it's very clear that Apple has enabled integration and that Spotify has not yet released that functionality. Spotify may be working on it, but who on earth knows because they don't tell us anything! 

tryingtothink
Excellent. I wish Spotify was as qick. Let's hope he has a bit more about
him than What HiFi and Stereophile and the varios newspapers I contacted.
The story now is Spotify courtesy of Spotify.