Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
juancarlosiv85

It becomes a customer care issue when Spotify sets up a forum to gather ideas under the guise of improving customer experience, and despite all the attention this thread is getting they've been absolutely silent, despite responding to other less "popular" threads.

Chicago_fan

@daveTheOnly 

This is 100% a customer care issue. Here's why:

1. Spotify has publicized for YEARS they want HomePod support. This sets a customer expectation that when it's available, it will be implemented.
  2. Spotify implemented Siri support on iOS (it took them a while, but they did it). This sets a customer expectation that they'll implement functionally the same thing on HomePod.
  3. Spotify has this forum to solicit customer feedback. This sets a customer expectation that they will respond to ideas and feedback. This thread has been one of the most active issues for months, and yet there is no response.

So, yes, it's their product, but by setting expectations then disappointing customers, they shouldn't be surprised when people leave their service.

btz1

@Chicago_fan I agree 1.000%

"Spotify has publicized for YEARS they want HomePod support.

This sets a customer expectation that when it's available, it will be implemented."

abricko

RE: daveThe0nly

@abricko To the dongle, my guess is Spotify connect is implemented right in the dongle with Spotify's libraries the same goes for other smart speakers, they are basically running a version of Spotify ON THE speaker. Apple does not want to do that, they would have to do that for other companies.

I understand that "from insider knowledge" is trustworthy as sh!t

Perhaps... but even my ~2015 Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro works fine with SpotifyConnect... I doubt it's "running" a version of spotify and rather just streaming from some secured cloud share...

Obviously none of us know the real deal until Spotify officially spills the beans.

Hopefully the conversation we're all having continues raise awareness.

tryingtothink
Yes. And I cannot see why they would complain about Apple if they could not
implement if they were then allowed to.
kenron

"Yes. And I cannot see why they would complain about Apple if they could not
implement if they were then allowed to."

Totally. It'd be one thing if they hadn't made the public statements previously, but because they complained so loudly for ages about Apple excluding Spotify from their "walled garden," it's 100% the pot calling the kettle black for them to now fall completely silent. And re this whole thread, they can't reply because they'd have to take some kind of stance which would only highlight their hypocrisy should they decline to implement this feature.

mendolp

Hi folks,

Lets get Spotify to add support for Homepod Mini and Siri so we can natively ask Siri on Homepod Mini to play Spotify.

ozhanozen

If someone would create a website similar to timetoplayfair and highlight exactly this topic, then maybe Spotify would at least give an answer to the topic.

Jacob
Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2021-02-21

A similar idea has been posted here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Implement-Native-HomePod-Support/idi-p/4985214

Please add your comments/votes there and reach out here if you need any other help 🙂

@ozhanozen timetoplayfair is a website made by spotify, not anyone else