Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
elkinjosetm

Is there any update on this idea? Are you guys even working on it? Can we get an ETA?

ZJack

Haha, paying customers asking for an update about previously implied upcoming features? As if that’s reasonable...

imJeans

its comical how pathetic the staff is handling this matter. u cant ignore us forever.

we did everything you asked, got ur stupid useless upvotes, so now do us a favor and get this working or at least RESPOND to us.

mattaningram

We even have some people in the media putting subtle hints out to Spotify execs haha: https://twitter.com/kerrymflynn/status/1363943730714140681

I can't believe how poorly tech companies handle PR and community outreach.

lllmp

Yes, can you please hurry up and make this a feature? This is something that competitors like Apple Music and Pandora already offer and as much as I don't like Pandora, I'm truly considering using my account there more, because I want to be able to ask Siri for a song, playlist, or just "what I like", and have it play on my HomePod mini without the need to deal with my iPhone or use AirPlay at all, even though Spotify predicts the music I like MUCH better. I just want the music to stream to the HomePod like Apple Music and Pandora already do. Great job with the algorithm, by the way. I'm a SUPER picky listener and when I listen to Spotify, the stuff that just auto-plays is actually good and I like it. In fact, I don't even realize the song changed while I work and don't go out of my way to change it because something ear-piercing came on, so great job there!

metaobject

Please implement this! 

CeramicCash

Haha Spotify this is embarrassing!

Pages and pages of complaints on multiple ‘ideas’ - more like basic functionality or optimisation for improving your product that shouldn’t require a vote at all. Spotify just ignores them. Your dev team and how you handle all this as a company is a joke.

tryingtothink

I emailed a journalist at 'thenextweb' about this. So far not a single paper/mag or journalist has shown any interest I fear. I would have thought it would make quite a good article. Nearly six times the votes needed now.

ByFinni

Hi,

as this "new idea" ist definitely possible to implement now that the required firmware has been released for a while, is there any update on this topic? I am sure there are still a lot of people waiting on this...

Hope you can give us a quick update! Thanks in advance!

Finnegan

iamc0rnholio

Just saw the Siri Shortcuts idea is marked not right now. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Siri-Shortcuts-Support/idi-p/4569462. I know they said they don’t announce third party integration, but they could have marked it under consideration if they didn’t want to commit. They’ve pretty much confirmed they’re not implementing by saying “not right now”.

I now have no hope for HomePod integration either.