Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
torgusson

How is this still not implemented yet?

vkza

Yet another week has gone by and no one from Spotify has bothered to respond.  It's becoming very apparent that they just don't give a F about this thread and the HomePod integration.

tryingtothink
Lots of theories as to why not. Some think maybe not possible. But Spotify
wanted it and now that it is permitted, and Pandora has done it, we really
don't know why not, or what advantage Sotify seek now.
Sonnenkind

I am very disappointed with Spotify’s „silent treatment“ regarding HomePod support. I would like to cancel Apple Music in favor of Spotify but Spotify is making this hard for me. Will probably leave Spotify instead. Sad. 

daveThe0nly

I love to see everyone giving votes (1 more to go for 2900!!!) and hard time to Spotify for not even replying to this thread anymore! Good work guys!

Dreifuss100

Please note that the below article claims that Homepod is supported in Spotify. unfortunately I tested with the Homepod Mini and this does not work. when will Spotify team add this essential support? it is a pitty that we have to consider Apple Music again.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/homepod/apd414437fc9/homepod

Thanks,

Dreifuss100

the above related to Spotify connect and not "Airplay" .

ZJack

18 pages of comments and 1 month ago, that link was in my first post on this forum! https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Implement-Native-HomePod-Support/idc-p/5144007/highl...

So that's two community members that have independently stumbled across the same page, and yet apparently Spotify's team haven't managed it yet? 😛

But honestly how outrageous is that!? 18 pages of comments in a single month. ~180 comments in that time, and I can say that the vote count was around ~2400-2500 then too - by Spotify's standards, an idea needs 500 votes per year to garner a response and we've nearly had that in the last MONTH.

How much hotter could this idea possibly need to get before it would deserve a response? 

vkza

I think it needs to get hot enough to have cnet or some other tech writer to report on it.

tlrbrsn

@Dreifuss100 @ZJack

Hi. The selection of a default music service has nothing to do with support for Spotify Connect. It’s a welcomed step in the right direction, but it’s not related to the API development required to support Spotify Connect, the same way it’s done on Google Nest, etc.

Additionally, it’s also being implemented starting with iOS 14.5, which has not been publicly released yet. 14.4 is the latest public release with this feature. 14.5 is in beta 2 status. It looks like the Apple support pages have been released in anticipation of this update. Perhaps we’ll see public release within a couple weeks.

We still need Spotify to take some initiative to support native music playing on HomePods, *not* just through AirPlay. 

Source: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/08/ios-14-5-beta-siri-default-music-service/