Announcements

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2020-07-02

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

Related idea:

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
tryingtothink
Nope. Stunning. Hurting their own customers and certainly helping Apple.
Maybe they have shares in Apple.
Onewave
Roadie

I'm surprised Pandora has implemented this feature, but not Spotify.

abricko
Pandora's implementation is _ok_ I really wish we could thumbs up or
down or even use the standard Pandora app to control the station. Hey,
at least it works and I don't have to airplay like I do with Spotify
currently.
zefram47
Visitor

Very disappointed Spotify hasn't implemented this yet.  I've been a Spotify Premium subscriber for many years now, but see myself getting an Apple Music subscription soon just because of this issue.  Whether or not I cancel my Spotify subscription is yet to be seen as I love the discovery features.  One more nail in Spotify's coffin is an article I read recently saying they were going to go after API users who transferred their data to another service.  Get with the times and play nice with other services.  And if you're going to gripe about Apple not being open enough...do the community a favor and actually take advantage when they do open up features instead of silently ignoring everyone who wants it implemented.

Atomic_Al

"an article I read recently saying they were going to go after API users who transferred their data to another service."

Do you have a link to that article? I'm interested in reading as I have transferred to AP so I can get started using it with HomePods.

tryingtothink
Proves it can be done. They did it quickly too.
zenraged

Spotify is failing. I've started a 3 month trail of Apple Music and am leaning on making the full switch. I do believe Spotify is the better service and more reliable, as I've had some glitches with Apple Music, however, Spotify has been messing up consistently lately. Each update or added feature makes the experience worse. I don't want to see videos play when listening to MUSIC, I don't want to see podcasts in my MUSIC app, I want to use my HomePod to play MUSIC. Spotify employees seem more focused on bashing Joe Rogan, pushing podcast recommendations, and playing corporate exclusivity games than delivering MUSIC to people. Apple Music is purely music. Just what I want, nothing more.

tryingtothink
Absolutely. I guess they are trying to turn into something more than a
music service, which is fine, but personally I would like to choose what I
want to experience.
chasky
Casual Listener

in relation to:

"an article I read recently saying they were going to go after API users who transferred their data to another service."

you can read here, this is a reference to TOS for API developers... so if you are end-users nothing for you to worry about it.  Of course, it will have impact to end-users since they could make it difficult to change to another music service.  

I think that approach is just in detriment to Spotify, I won't leave Spotify (or any other service) if they provide a good service (aka Implement Native HomePod Support); on the other hand, I more likely leave a service if they start creating such strategies.

as for this specific changes to API TOS, Spotify had (according to below article) changed it once more:  

https://musically.com/2020/10/22/spotify-changes-api-terms-to-allow-playlist-exporting/

26_gsg7-j4n93

If Spotify is so set on battling Apple Music, I see no sense in refusing to put an effort to support HomePod... It’s produced by Apple, sure, but I was more than happy to use it with Spotify. Now I switched to AP just because it supports HomePod.