Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS][Other] Spotify Alarm on iOS

I see that the new Google Clock app has a Spotify feature (alarm), and I thinks that’s super cool but, I have an iPhone therefore I can't use Google Clock so if you can also try to impliment this feature on IOS devices (IPhone,IPad,etc) than that would be great. Thank You

Updated on 2020-04-20

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks

Comments
verEcke

We need this

oliviamah

Using Spotify as an alarm would be amazing. I hope Spotify and Apple can collaborate to make this a part of the Spotify or the iOS Clock app. Thanks for the great products!

cgreive

This is 100% on Apple to provide, not spotify to implement

@ylmcc They probably cannot add this feature because Apple won't let them. Apple is quite tight on stuff like this, whereas Google isn't so tight.

KayJayBee

So we are 3 x the required votes (not that Android users had to do so much).... what’s next??

Proteus846

It’s interesting that so many people are upset with Spotify for not implementing this. If you have a complaint, raise it to Apple… they’re the ones making this incompatible for iPhones, not Spotify.

The alarm app on iPhone and iPod touch was set up initially to work with alarm sounds or music purchased/synced iTunes. When Apple Music came around, music from the service was also available for an alarm because it’s built into the same app.

Third-party apps cannot be set as alarms on iOS, so there’s nothing Spotify can do about this issue short of appealing to Apple. Honestly, I don’t see why Apple would allow this feature change — as said in comments on this post even, it would be a huge advantage to Spotify for a lot of people… and Apple is directly competing with Spotify.

There are currently debates going regarding what is fair use of Apple’s own platform and what is stifling innovation. What can they restrict and what can’t they? The results of that may play in to this discussion in some way. But as it stands now, don’t expect this in Spotify and know it isn’t their fault they can’t implement it.

Side note: It’s true that a workaround would be for an alarm feature baked into the Spotify app, but based on the way apps behave in the background in Apple’s ecosystem this also would be problematic. Alarms are relied upon; they need to work, all the time. If Spotify is closed, either by the user or by the system due to inactivity, the best it can do is present a standard notification with a quick sound for that alarm; this wouldn’t be a functional music alarm anyway, but it would also be incredibly easy to sleep through. Again, this is an Apple issue and not a Spotify one.

lynachang

I would really really like to see this happening. Pleaseeee

melvynadam

Can someone from Spotify clarify whether "not right now" means "unless something fundamental changes wrt iOS", or if they might consider a built-in alarm function inside the Spotify for iOS app. 

Also, the last official reply said that they'd come back with updates, but it's been a while....

melvynadam

This is now achievable with a workaround: create a Siri shortcut that plays your chosen song/playlist, and then create an iOS Automation that runs the shortcut at a specific day/time.

ottawayd

“Not right now”. Absolute joke. Just add it for android users and don’t worry about doing the job properly and implementing across platforms. Waited years for a spotify alarm or a link between alarms and spotify on ios and it still hasn’t been done. Not exactly a big ask is it.

Never mind, just keep taking the money and make very few improvements.