Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't Play Downloaded Songs When Offline

We're getting reports that downloaded songs are not playing when the app is not connected to the internet. The offline songs are grayed out but shows that they are downloaded. When connected back to the internet, same songs can be played without issues and still appear downloaded.

Hey,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We wanted to announce that this issue has been fixed from our end. However, keep in mind you might experience some inconveniences with your offline content that are caused by other things such as:

• The use of cache clearing apps/settings - these could interfere with the app's normal functions.
  • Storage issues - your device needs to have at least 1GB of free storage in order for Spotify to function correctly.
  • SD card issues - if you're using one, make sure to check out this FAQ.
  • Outdated app - not running the latest app version available can also cause performance issues. Check how to update the app in this Support article.
  • Having more than 5 devices with downloaded music - you can remove older devices by following the steps you'll find in this Support article
  • Not going online at least once in 30 days - your downloads might be removed because of this.
  • The content being removed from Spotify - the downloads will also be removed.

If you're still having trouble after checking all of the above, make sure to start a new thread in the relevant Help Board.

Comments
Xunielf

Hey @user-removed, I have been testing this issue of downloaded songs not being playable, and I believe it is connected to an affected users spotify account. It might be caused by switching premium plans, because this issue occurred after I switched from an individual plan to a family plan. Specifically, the issue presented itself after my individual plan expired, and I was already on the family plan before the individual expired. The following explains what I have tested.

I just got a new phone(Galaxy Note 10+) and this issue, which started on my old phone(Galaxy A10s), occurs on the new one as well. That means that it probably is not the phone. To confirm this, I looked at my mom's phone(Galaxy Note 😎 and account. Her spotify works perfectly offline. I then signed in to my account on her phone, and the issue occured again. (I can test further and put both accounts on each phone and try again, but this was enough for me to realize that it probably isn't fixable from my end). I also tried doing a clean reinstall on my new phone, but there was no change. 

Models Tested:

Samsung Galaxy A10s, Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Storage Devices:

SD card, Internal Storage

Spotify Versions:

Multiple versions released between November 19, 2022, to Janurary 7, 2023

Canada

Date Noticed:

Around Nov 19, 2022

Troubleshooting steps:

All suggested in the status update, as well as what I have written above

WhoIsAfifi

Hello I have Spotify premium and I'm not able to play downloaded music 

WhoIsAfifi_0-1673154326416.png

This is how it looks it says it's downloaded but I'm not able to play music even in Mobile 
Plan: Premium Duo

Device: iPhone 7 
Operating system IOS 15/Windows 
I tried downloading and re-downloading the playlists i also did all the steps that could work nothing works.

When its online its says its downloaded 

WhoIsAfifi_1-1673154607883.png

Spotify Version for pc :1.2.0.1165.gabf054ab

Spotify Version for Phone:8.7.94.551

phoenixsh

Hi Spotify Team,

I have been experiencing the same issue as many of the commenters. I downloaded songs on to my car tablet so I could play music without connecting to wifi or use data. Then one day, my downloaded songs that were supposed to be able to play offline were greyed out when I was away from wifi.

Here are my observations. For me, it seems like it is related to certain playlists I downloaded. When I was struggling with this issue in November, I removed the downloaded playlist of 'Pop Rising' because I thought a glitch was having an issue with playlists that are actively updated. This solved the problem for me for 2 months and my offline downloaded playlists were stable.

Three days ago on Sunday Jan 8, I made a new playlist called 'The Beatles' and added these 3 songs. Then the issue happened again when I was driving, the music stopped abruptly and all my downloaded songs were greyed out. This kept on happening every day until this morning I removed the downloads for 'The Beatles' playlist and my other downloaded playlists were stable again, able to be played offline. 

Spotify team, do different songs have different attributes that would make them get treated differently? Possibly the system not liking when certain songs are downloaded vs others? My issue seemed to only get fixed when I removed certain playlists. Doing all the suggested fixing of logging out and in, updating, reinstalling did not work for me. I was very close to cancelling my subscription because I was paying to play songs offline.

Anyways it'd be super nice if you guys could look into this, I hope my observations will help. 

phoenixsh_0-1673489557789.png

Plan: Premium. Country: Canada. Device: Joying Car Tablet Screen Stereo. Operating system: Android 10.0.

I have spotify duo, I have deleted the app and logged out multiple times I have also checked that no updates are needed to be done
noesgb

What do you do?! How you solve this?

I switched over to a family plan, and now I can't play any music in offline mode. Ive tried uninstalling, removing and reinstalling downloads, updating the app, and restarting my phone. This is incredibly frustrating because I do not have wifi at my workplace.... Issue started this week (or at least this is the first I've noticed). The playlist goes grey and says 'this song is not available'
Make/model of the device and OS version: Google pixel 6pro, Android 13
Spotify version number: 8.7.92.521
Kingtoby
I have selected offline mode
My music is downloaded to my device
But whenever I am offline, content is not available
I have deleted and re installed the app and removed all content and re downloaded
Kairekcz
I don't see download icon in text of song, but there is icon in playlist.
peachycazz

I had this problem for almost 3 months (since last November 2022). I already contacted spotify about this problem and their agents provided my resolutions abt this problem, like (clearing data, then uninstalling, restarted my phone, the reinstalling again.) Still, my problem wasn't resolved. I can't say it's a device problem because i bought a new phone just this month (January 2023) and still, the issue is there.

Bdw, i am subscribed to Family Premium. I tried other subscription (student premium) , and my problem was resolved, i can now play my downloaded music offline. I don't know if it's a problem with family premium, but it could be. Spotify should take a look in this problem.

It's frustrating that i spent money for premium so i can play music offline but then i wasn't able to play it offline 🥲. 

Koque
  • Cómo decía el usuario melocotón y al igual que él, estoy en plan familiar y tengo ese problema de no perder escuchar mis canciones descargadas al pasar al modo sin conexión