Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloading on Apple Watch stuck at first song

Hey folks,

We're receiving reports that some users are unable to download music for offline listening on their Apple Watches. The download is stuck on the first song and doesn't progress.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to Subscribe to this thread. 

Thanks! 

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your inputs and patience so far.

We're setting this issue to Not Right Now as we're unable to provide an exact timeline for a fix at this moment. However, rest assured this will remain on our internal teams' radar and we'll check back in here with a new status when we have any new information to share.

In the meantime, make sure to always keep the app up to date.

Take care.

Comments
Xenia

This post was moved to the iOS board as it best fits there - this will help you get a quicker answer, and allow others to find your post if they have a similar question/issue.

Davebass5

I came here to get some help as i too find this system very flakey, and very annoying. Using a XS Max and Series 4 GPS watch. 

Ive had a couple  of albums transfer very quickly, and some take 2 days (id forgotten about them), and some just sitting there ‘Downloading’ for ever. 

I refuse (for now) to re pair, it takes too long and when everything else is working this shouldn’t be the answer. And even if it is, there is no way of making sure it wont happen again. 

I cant really add much to the conversation, but i have just turned wifi off on my watch and the downloads are coming in fast now. This would seem to show a fix, but ive never done this before and yet ive had downloads transfer fine, so its not a fix, just something that worked today.

Of course this is just part of it. I rarely get these tracks to play to my earbuds in the gym from my watch, so keep Apple Music on hand. 

Isnt technology wonderful lol., 

donniedarko

I don't know specifically what I did to resolve the issue, but YOU DO NOT NEED TO DELETE/RESET ANY OF YOUR DEVICES.

Here's what I did:

1. Delete the playlist from your Apple Watch that you're having problems with. This may solve the entire issue. If not, proceed to step 2:
  2. Delete Spotify apps from your iPhone AND Apple Watch. Re-install them both.
  3. Try synching the desired playlist from your iPhone to your Apple Watch again.

I tried deleting the Spotify apps from my iPhone and Apple Watch and I think this did the trick. I think I turned WiFi on and off too just to try, but I think the re-installation of BOTH Spotify apps did the trick, I just cannot verify this. Mainly wanted to point out that you shouldn't waste your time deleting your entire iPhone and/or Apple Watch unless you've first tried the above steps.

billybragg1

@donniedarko    I agree with much of what you have said, apart from your 'shouty' delete/reset bit. 

The only thing that worked for me out of the countless suggestions (including removing Spotify from my watch and phone, wifi changes, bluetooth changes etc. etc.) was unpairing and re-pairing my watch to my phone, which no loss of data, apps etc. The only thing I needed to do was very my payment cards in Apple Wallet, which were present (like everything else upon re-pairing) but required their CCV codes. 

It seems that various different solutions work for various people. We can see this from the multitude of suggestions that clearly worked for others. The solution that works, is the one that works for you. Glad you have it working and no, the rest is not Spotify's best work!

jaytee3330

Just an update from my side: I have been following this channel since I experienced this error for a while. In the beginning I have tried everything that has been said here a few times with no positive result. Even the connection from Apple Watch to AirPods was not working....

In the last couple of weeks I've done the following a few times without reinstalling the app on the watch or phone. Yesterday it just started downloading the playlist after it. What I did:

1. Make sure you are in WiFi.
  2. select playlist on phone and click on "download on Apple Watch"
  3. start playing this playlist on watch. 
  4. change the playing device to watch again and connect to AirPods (for some reason it working again)
  5. turn off phone.
  6. The songs started downloading.

Again: I did not reinstall anything.

billybragg1

I tried every suggestion up until the time of writing. The only thing that worked for me is to unpair and re-pair my apple from from my phone, which did not cause any loss of data or apps due to my iCloud backup. It did not require me uninstalling or losing anything. I think it is clear that anyone with the download issue has to try the number of suggestions offered until they get lucky - since it is clear that different methods have worked for different people. 

chonymony

I did everything on the Status Update, none of it worked. Please fix it in the next build.

billybragg1

@chonymony     While others had success with other solutions, I tried everything and only unpairing the watch from my phone and re-pairing it worked for me. With an iCloud back up, the watch re-pairs without any info/data/app loss and isn't as painful as it sounds.

Davebass5

Duplicate post. Please ignore. 

Davebass5

I posted a few days ago that i had fixed my issue, and it has been working fine until today. Nothing changed other than my sim, but that wouldn't matter. 

Its back working now. Just rebooted the watch. I’d love to use Spotify all the time, but for gym use i just cant trust that ill have anything to listen to. 

One strange thing. I tried to download an album for 10 songs when i was out walking. It came up on the watch but nothing downloaded. Got home and back on my home wifi and still nothing, not even 1/10, just “downloading’. After i had rebooted the watch and checked, all the tracks were showing instantly.