Equalizer won’t work with Airplay

I have iOS 13 updated on iPhone and ipad

spotify premium 

the equalizer 

Won’t work with Airplay 

does work with playback thru device or with Airpods 

please help

Alan

one of the below information is required. However, the more you provide the easier it will be for us to try and help.

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We understand that you're experiencing issues while trying to use Spotify via Airplay.

Unfortunately, the equalizer won't work with Airplay, as the Spotify app just tells the Airplay device which song to play from Spotify's catalog, with the Airplay device controlling how the audio will sound. Which is why, we can't control any equalizer settings on the Airplay device.

We'd recommend that you reach out to your Airplay device manufacturer customer support team to get help with adjusting the sound quality and equalizer settings.

Thank you for understanding.

Comments
Remco602
I tried this a long time ago, as others had noticed this as well. What happened is that the settings that are set while streaming say direct to an iPhone, are no longer applied once you start streaming to an AirPlay device. You can test this by setting for example all frequency bands to minimum, with the exception of the highest frequency band. You will notice that once you switch to the AirPlay device, the settings revert back to the “neutral” setting; which in my case has way too much base. If I am wrong, let me know and I will give this another try. Even if it would work this way, you would have to optimize the sound through the AirPlay device without being able to listen to it. This would make it a time consuming process of switching back and forth multiple times, as obviously the optimal equalizer settings are going to be different for the iPhone and AirPlay device..

As previous posters have mentioned as well, I can’t believe this is still not fixed. It definitely limits the usefulness of Spotify for me, as I can’t listen to it anymore through any of my AirPlay devices...

iamstilllolive

On my side, my custom settings  are kept when switching stream destination. That’s how I could make my screenshot. Please test again with the latest version.

PS: I agree that this freezing bug is VERY annoying. And my workaround still makes the EQ very tedious to use .

mister_L
Very annoying bug. Tested ist with extreme settings and the workaround is working for me. The eq-settings I made before switching to airplay are still in effect on the airplay device.
sternlicht
To anyone who is looking to use an equalizer across AirPlay here are two solutions:
1. Apple Music (personally confirmed this works)
2. Amazon Music Unlimited
Remco602
I have tried again setting the equalizer while playing through my IPhone, and then switching to AirPlay. Indeed the settings are now used while playing over my AirPlay devices! This does prove that there are no technical limitations applying the equalizer settings while playing over AirPlay, and that the fact that the equalizer gets stuck and changes cannot be made while playing over AirPlay is just a defect in the App.
So, why can’t Spotify fix this?? I have reported this well over a year ago.. Not sure if any Spotify associates are checking these posts, they really should be, especially as these are on their own website, but if so, maybe they can let us know why they don’t seem to care about fixing this very annoying defect that does not allow optimizing sound while playing over AirPlay, and has been reported by several people by now..

iamstilllolive
People on this thread agreed upon that description for the bug: https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Equalizer-still-not-working/m-p/4942761#M121383
I hope you can now help.
moipk

EQ is not working as soon as you stream to airplay even if I set my preferred EQ preset before streaming... so sad... works fine with apple music though. But I found the volume level to be higher when set to max on spotify, compared to apple music. 

moipk

Not working at all... @iamstillolive

iamstilllolive
Drop me a mail at *snip* so we can refine the bug description, the proposed workaround (and eventually,make Spotify work on that silly bug).
iamstilllolive
Hum, my mail adresse was removed. Too bad. This bug will go sleeping for yet another year. Good luck everyone with my workaround ...