Premium

Country

UK

Device

Echo dot / iPad 

Operating System

iOS 12.2 on iPad. 

My Question or Issue

I can’t work out how to get Alexa linked to my Spotify. Guidance says Alexa app/ settings / music/ link new service, which leads to a Spotify button that doesn’t do anything. Manage Services has Amazon Music and Tune in added ok, but not Spotify.

I’ve seen a few variations over past years on here on how to make this happen, but can’t find one that works. UK premium service, UK address. Someone suggested using Alexa app and About to deregister echo dot, but I can’t see a deregister option there.

For a widely offered service, it surely can’t be this difficult to link the two up. I know I can play via Bluetooth but I wanted the extras this link up offers, including voice control and not tying the sound output on a device other than Alexa up. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We've made some changes backstage which should now fix the original issue as reported by users!

You can now use the steps below to link your Spotify + Alexa accounts:

1. First, make sure that both Spotify and the Amazon Alexa apps are on the latest versions available
  2. It's also a good idea to perform a soft reset/reboot your devices
  3. Then, log in to your Spotify account on a browser, head here and revoke access to Alexa
  4. On the Amazon Alexa app on your mobile device:
    • Tap the three lines menu on the top left > Settings > Music & Podcasts
    • Find Spotify in the list and click Enable to Use 
    • In the authorization screen, double check that you're trying to log in with the correct Spotify account and click Agree

If you're having trouble with any of the above, make sure to create a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks again!

Comments
dominicas
  • Spotify version 8.5.7.999
  • Alexa app version 2.2.271281.0
  • Device model Samsung Galaxy S9
  • OS version Android v.9
fatheed66

Like many others here, my Spotify account was compromised and spam emails/accounts added to my family plan. I contacted Spotify and they advised me to reset password.

From that moment, Spotify stopped working on Alexa. I have the same greyed-out Spotify button on the Alexa app. No way to connect the two. It’s what I use Alexa for 90 percent of the time.

I spoke on chat to other day to an Amazon Alexa customer service operator who eventually told me there was a known problem affecting both and that 

there was no fix yet and no projected fix time. Pretty **bleep** useless that this hasn’t been resolved yet. Will cancel my Spotify subscription for June if it goes on much longer.

Seems like neither party is being honest about what is happening here.

You’ve been aware of this issue for over a week now and still no fix. An issue affecting paying customers whose accounts have been compromised. Can we expect a refund for this period without use of the service? Would love an update.

fatheed66
If I follow the advice which seems to have worked for other users, and go to alexa.amazon.com - When I click on Spotify, it does not display like the other skills, it behaves as though it is in a mobile browser and just tells me: "Use the Spotify app to browse music. Just ask Alexa to play Spotify or use the Spotify app to find the music you love.Content availability will be based on the country associated with your Spotify account." [GO TO SPOTIFY APP] (which opens spotify in browser)
fatheed66
Got it to re-link! Specific instructions for de-linking through browser are go to: Settings > Alexa Preferences > Music & Media > Music Services, Click to unlink. None of that was clear in previous posts and there are several routes to Spotify that are dead ends. Why was that so difficult 😑
VR-9
  • Spotify version 8.5.7.601
  • Alexa app version 2.2.276988
  • Device model iPhone 10S Max
  • OS version 12.2
biggerfish

Relinking from the browser worked for me too:

login at http://alexa.amazon.com

Unlink spotify, then relink it providing your user/pass. All good now. 

wesclarkspotify
  • Device model iPhone 7
  • OS version 12.2

Workaround from laptop browser/link DOES NOT work for me. Spotify is not an option to unlink or even re-link as a service. Under default music services, it is greyed out.

I use this to help make my kids sleep. Now it is not working!

noirfreak

Having the same issue and like for @wesclarkspotify unlinking solution didn't help.  Spotify is not shown in the list of services when I go to Alexa from my dektop, on the mobile app it is greyed out. So cannot unlink.

keyselaucy

I reinstalled the apps and still doesn’t work. Same issue, it stopped working after Spotify required a password reset.

• Device model IPhone 8 Plus
  • OS version 12.3
Rslack

I updated my password and have the same issue. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that helps. Annoying...