Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Nexus 6P

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

So I have a BWM 1 series for about a week now and was able to connect spotify without any problems until it stopped working once i got back in my car two days ago. It still shows up in my apps, and sometimes I can click it and continue to the next screen but it doesn't load any further than that. I also get a notification on my phone that it's connected.

The problem started when I used the spotify app on my computer and connected to Sonos. But I already changed it in the computer app so the music plays from my computer itself.

The funny thing is that it does play spotify from my phone connected via bluetooth, just not from the app that's in the list.

Any idea how I can fix this? Already tried to reinstall the app, open the spotify app through the connected drive app, and disconnect/reconnect my phone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey all,

Thanks for all your feedback.

We're still looking into this on our end. We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we really appreciate you letting us know about this. Don't forget to inform BMW about this as well.

We’ve blocked replies to this thread as we are not gathering more examples for now.

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

457 Replies
Solution!

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey all,

Thanks for all your feedback.

We're still looking into this on our end. We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we really appreciate you letting us know about this. Don't forget to inform BMW about this as well.

We’ve blocked replies to this thread as we are not gathering more examples for now.

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

samtorrero
Casual Listener

Hey guys,

I'm using the Spotify app on my Mini JCW, with a Samsung Galaxy S10+. Everything is working fine except that I'm unable to skip tracks using the steering wheel buttons. I can do it with the radio buttons of the screen buttons but nothing happens using the steering wheel ones, just a message saying "Loading". Does anyone has the same issue with a BMW/MINI?

chanmanx2k
Music Fan

Yes, I am having that same exact problem.  Does anyone know what spotify or BMW has said recently?

nealesj
Music Fan
Simple answer is nothing. No communication from Spotify or BMW on this. What annoys me is that BMW are advertising Spotify integration when they know full well it's not reliable. Their app has something to do with it too, I think. I get the impression that BMW software development are poorly staffed, but other manufacturers are now leaving them behind. There seems to be a poor collaboration between BMW and Spotify.

gooselee1
Music Fan

BMW and Spotify just blame each other when asked. Neither seems interested in actually solving the issue.

While BMW's app/software development is certainly not the best (after all, they are an auto company, not a software company), I actually believe the problem is NOT on their side. Spotify stopped working with MANY different auto integrations, both manufacturer and aftermarket, starting with a Spotify app change in late 2018. This is well documented in this and other threads.

Spotify is a software company. Spotify made a change to their software that broke many integrations with other devices. Thus I believe it is Spotify's responsiblity to fix it, either by correcting their software change or being the leader in working with their many integration partners to help them adapt to whatever changes are happening.

In my work I deal with HR and Payroll systems. Often the system where someone's salary/wage is stored is different from the system that actually calculates paychecks, withholds taxes, and actually sends direct deposits - sometimes multiple payroll systems because, for example, different countries use different systems. If we ever had an HR system that changed something about their integration scheme that resulted in multiple payroll systems not properly receiving the data they need, I would fully expect the company behind the HR system to be the ones addressing the problem, not the payroll providers. Whoever created the problem needs to be the lead in fixing it.

In Spotify's case, they have made it very clear that they do not intend to address the problem they have created.

jolaca01
Regular

Yes, time goes by and nothing happens. I guess BMW customers are really a small part of Spotify customers. And none of these companies care about us.

chanmanx2k
Music Fan

BMW is not really known for their stellar software development.  Compared to Spotify which is constantly updating their software.  Maybe the fault is with BMW software.  Does anyone know how to tweet BMW and show them this thread so they understand our frustrations?

I also would like some sort of transparency from Spotify.  Could you please let us know what you did previously to fix the problem?  Or what you possibly think could be the problem?

Daisy
Spotify Legend

Hey everyone,

If you're having issues with BMW ConnectedDrive, we recommend you reach out to BMW about this.

Make sure your devices are always up to date. 

Have a nice day! 

BMWuser

Please, the Spotify and BMW issues have been there for YEARS!

BMW blames Spotify, Spotify blames BMW...and the users are in between.

If Spotify KNOWS this is only a Connecteddrive issue, then please state exactly what is wrong with Connecteddrive.

The opposite is of course also valid; if BMW Knows this is only a Spotify issue, then please state exactly what is wrong with Spotify.

This might be my last year with Spotify Premium and probably my last BMW, cause the way you both handle your customers are terrible.

nealesj
Music Fan
I've just canned my Spotify subscription today as its beyond a joke. And for a premium car brand like BMW, their media integration compared to other manufacturers is very poor.

FamilyPremiumUs
Casual Listener

Hi,

Spotify is ignoring our ptoblem because we're few comparing to the total number of users. Let's make some noise to make them react soon. Let's put bad ratings on play and itunes stores and on social medias (twitter and facebook). Let's do it in a short timeframe to make the max noise that we can.

I just reviwed the app on the play store with one star and a comment explaining that I have connectivity issues with BMW connected drive for months despite a thead in Spotify community with many comlaints.

cnow
Casual Listener

I gave also a 1- star rating at play store to make some "noise". As version 8.4.78.530 still works with my G02 the root cause is definitely a change in Spotify's API. While their developers can implement this very fast in their app the fancy agile way, it's much harder for a car manufacturer to change their software and to roll it out to their customers (cars). In my opinion it must be ensured that all API changes are backward compatible at least when an API is integrated by companies whose product lifecycles are much longer. 

Kind regards, 

cnow

jariolle
Gig Goer

@cnow wrote:

I gave also a 1- star rating at play store to make some "noise". As version 8.4.78.530 still works with my G02 the root cause is definitely a change in Spotify's API. While their developers can implement this very fast in their app the fancy agile way, it's much harder for a car manufacturer to change their software and to roll it out to their customers (cars). In my opinion it must be ensured that all API changes are backward compatible at least when an API is integrated by companies whose product lifecycles are much longer. 

Kind regards, 

cnow

Well, I disagree quite a lot. Yes, Spotify as an Agile software company would most likely fixed this already a months ago, if there would have been an error. It is solely at BMWs responsibility to make their app work with API's they need when they provide and sell such services. You can't stop the developent and you shouldn't either. The BMW connect app has so many other bugs and issues as well. Who else would  fix them but BMW? And to be honest, how every other car maker I know have avoided this mess? BMW's biggest mistake at the first place has been a decision to use the phone and the API instead of full scale Spotify app in the car. Android world is everything else but standard so with this choice it will be more than hard to keep all phone HW and OS versions out there compatible. One managed app in the car would have been so much easier.

Also BMW has always been really bad on any updates. I used my previous BMW 3,5 years and it didn't got a single update during that period. The rest of the world won't stop and wait BMW...

cnow
Casual Listener

Hi Jariolle,

The Connect APP - which is indeed buggy - has nothing to do with the software of the MMI. I'm not working for BMW or another car manufacturer but for a company which also has partners which provide APIs we use in our business. Integration of a new API is quite a lot work for us as we have to provide that new code in thousands of clients while our partners only have to push the new implementation centrally to their servers. If they would act the way Spotify does, they wouldn't be a partner anymore.

But this is just a best guess. I don't know about the circumstances behind the scenes.

Kind regards,

cnow

jariolle
Gig Goer

@cnow wrote:

Hi Jariolle,

The Connect APP - which is indeed buggy - has nothing to do with the software of the MMI. I'm not working for BMW or another car manufacturer but for a company which also has partners which provide APIs we use in our business. Integration of a new API is quite a lot work for us as we have to provide that new code in thousands of clients while our partners only have to push the new implementation centrally to their servers. If they would act the way Spotify does, they wouldn't be a partner anymore.

But this is just a best guess. I don't know about the circumstances behind the scenes.

Kind regards,

cnow

Sure, I know. I don't work for any car company nor Spotify either. But I've been in IT business more than 30 years, so I think I know something as well.

Talking about how BMW needs to update the software in the car is also from 90's. Almost all other cars update their software OTA, just a press of the button..

But comming back to BMW Connect app and Spotify. Not all, but most of the problems actually are there. I believe pretty much all but the HUD and streering wheel buttons...Of course it may require other updates in car as well.

I'm just pretty pist off as I've had my BMW from last November. We are now mid June this year and I have not had working systems for more than 7 months. And as said I'm not talking about Spotify only. 

Asklepi-OS
Regular

same thing for me. Got my new car this January. Spotify integration never really worked (Google Nexus 5x). I am really really disappointed with both Spotify and BMW. I used to drive BMW for quite a long time. BUT .... well, this is not the service i had in mind. 

chanmanx2k
Music Fan

Can someone contact BMW again for another update?  Better yet, could Spotify contact BMW directly and find the problem?

dkra

The Spotify versions since October / November 2018 function in the BMW times sometimes less, but never completely (control HUD never).

BMW does not feel responsible and certainly not Spotify!

The older versions of Spotify (8.4.78.530 and pre) have worked for me in the F11 and G31, even the change of the mobile phone from Samsung S7 to S10e was no problem. As end customers we are fooled by Spotify and BMW. My personal opinion is that Spotify is the main problem here. Spotify simply does not need to be considerate of a few BMW users.

It's terrible, but I'm still trying to live with version 8.4.78.530.

chrislhurley
Regular
A very naive response - I very much regret that spotify simply don't understand that the problem is spotify. NOT BMW. I left months ago but hoped that all would be fixed so I could return. No fix = no return.

jariolle
Gig Goer

To be honest, it is not BMW or Spotify, but both of them. Current Spotify verions are not compatible with BMW software. And in my mind it is BMW's responsibility to get the BMW working as advertized even if the root cause would be the Spotify app.

There is also this view. I'm using Spotify literally at least in 10 differnt HW and environments. And guess what, BMW is the only one not working... Also the last update to BMWConnected app (now talking about Android version) made Spotify partly working. So if it chicken or the egg, I don't care, but these two leading brands should get this finally solved. It's more than 6 months we have had this issue

SUGGESTED POSTS