adding podcast by url ... why can't spotify answer this question?

adding podcast by url ... why can't spotify answer this question?

mike_kruger
Casual Listener

Users have asked many times how to add a podcast by url.  The only non-answer was this: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Podcasts-Searching-for-particular-Podcast/idi-p/153199...

All other answers to this question simply point to this non-answer.  That's pathetic.  If Spotify can't provide basic customer service, then I'm going to ditch it.

This applies to using Spotify on all devices - premium version or otherwise. 

6 Replies

Re: adding podcast by url ... why can't spotify answer this question?

SenseiJoe

As responded in another one of these requests - "You need 100 kudos in a year" for it to be considered.

Such a bad response!

There needs to be a campaign for this natural feature of podcast players. :)

Maybe we'll have to keep adding these requests every day.

Hey @mike_kruger and @SenseiJoe,

Hit vote if you think it's a good idea. We go over all ideas regularly and update the Status when necessary. Inactive ideas can become active and who knows can get implemented some day :)

But what do you mean exactly by adding a Podcast by URL?

Looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day.

GuidoModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

safetypinner
Regular

Guido, adding a podcast by URL is a basic feature of any podcast app. You copy a podcast url from a podcast and most (if not all) podcast apps will let you subscribe to the podcast with that url. There is usually a button or menu option that provides a text field where users can type or paste a podcast url. It’s such a basic feature that it is mind blowing that Spotify doesn’t have it already. I am inclined to think that Spotify specifically doesn’t want to allow this because it would allow people to listen to podcasts that Spotify doesn’t have a relationship with. I have a feeling that Spotify wants to exercise complete control over “podcasts” that are available on its platform. This is evidenced by the fact that there are some “podcasts” which can only be subscribed to on Spotify.

mihxil

I concur completely. Lacking a feature to subscribe to a podcast by URL completely invalidates spotify as a podcast-app. This is a very basic feature.

Zap4ick
Visitor

Google podcasts don't have this feature too though :) it's a pity I have to get a separate app to listen to one link. 

nipunajay3
Regular

This is the reason why Spotify isn't my default podcast app, and I suspect it's the same for many other people.

Right now, to follow podcasts on Spotify you must find them in the Spotify catalogue and hit "follow". But there are several podcasts that I follow on another app which are not available in the Spotify podcast catalogue. So to keep following those podcasts, I must continue using the other app even though I'd much rather use Spotify. If Spotify had a feature where I could manually add the podcast URL in order to follow it, I could just ditch my other app and use Spotify for all my podcasting needs.

It's very frustrating because here I am, wanting to use Spotify as my go-to podcast app but responses I've seen in other threads make me feel that Spotify is completely ignorant of this absolutely basic feature.

SUGGESTED POSTS