Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

API usage for hobby data science

Solved!

API usage for hobby data science

Hi there!

I have short question about using the Spotify Web API for some hobby data science project. I hope this is the right place to ask, I already contacted the German Spotify support and they referred me to the Spotify developer site, but as stated in the documentation, GitHub would not be the right place to ask, so I post here instead 🙂

Short backstory: There is a nice little game with Wikipedia where you start at a given page and try to navigate to another with as few clicks as possible ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiki_Game ). We played a similar game with Spotify where one would start with a given artist, and try to navigate to target artists using only the 'fans also like' functions of Spotify. This gave me the idea that one could do some hobby data science with that feature.

My question would be: May I use the Spotify Web API to systematically create a graph of 'related' artists (provided by https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-api/reference/artists/get-related-artists/  )? This would enable solving this 'Spotify game' and allow for some interesting visualizations regarding artist relations and genres. I think the crawler would utilize ~1000 requests per hour (I already tested some API libraries, and accidentally performed a total of 40 000 queries, sorry about that!).

I do not intend to use the collected data commercially, and will not post any data publicly, and only want to do this as a hobby. Maybe I will write a blog post or something in the future, but only with explicit approval of Spotify. If I find anything interesting in these analyses I would of course share all results with the respective Spotify contact persons, if desired.

Thanks for having a look into the matter & Kind regards,

Marius

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @marw991,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

If you haven't already, it'd be a good idea taking a look at the Spotify Developers Terms of Service that you can access from here for more info.

If you need more help, you can also reach out to the Spotify Developers team here.

Hope this is useful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey there @marw991,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

If you haven't already, it'd be a good idea taking a look at the Spotify Developers Terms of Service that you can access from here for more info.

If you need more help, you can also reach out to the Spotify Developers team here.

Hope this is useful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts