Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Adding Notes on Spotify

Adding Notes on Spotify

I have an idea (don't know if it's good or bad, but the thing is it doesn't let me post it in the idea forum so imma post it here. So sorry) but anyways whenever I make playlists, I've wished there was a way to add like a note to a song instead of writing everything in the bio section of each and every playlist.

For example, imagine if you make a playlist for someone, you add some songs to a playlist and you click on the three dots (you know the dots that are always on the right and it gives you options to remove and add songs from playlists etc.) and it appears an option to add a note. Let's say you are able to create a note for every song in your playlists individually (ex: 20 songs = 20 notes). Now lets say you have a song that you really love and you like to add that song to each and everyone of your playlists. The note option will give you the ability to make a new one, regardless if you put the same song twice in the same playlist or if you put the same songs that are found across all your personal playlists (as in the notes won't intersect with existing notes even if you have the same songs. Basically new notes will always be there regardless if you put the same song 100 times in one playlist or if you have a song that is found in all your playlists.) The only time a note won't be new is if you write on it (Also, you can always edit it later. I think you should add a autosave or a manual save button, or both.) The note option, will only work in collaboration mode or when you are the creator of the playlists. You can also hide notes in the playlists you make whether the playlist itself is public or private. Apart from that you can delete/erase notes that you've already made. 

The reason why I think this "note function" is needed is because I believe it can let fellow artists and users to interact/connect more with the app and for many it may let them express their thoughts more (especially when there are users that make playlists that have a theme/story around it.) This feature allows them to go beyond other than the bio section. The purpose for these notes could be like commenting or relating to the song such as "this song reminds me of when we went to Antarctica (or any place)." or "this song makes me feel like..... " or you could also write "this song or this specific line means to me...." (for those that like to express the many different unique meanings one song can hold.) It can also allow users to engage and form these connections through music by telling a story and it can definitely create or help reconnect memories through this option by relating it to the music (especially when there are people that reactive memories by listening to a certain song or melody).  It's also great for those that like to tell stories through your playlists or that are aspiring writers that like, making custom playlists for characters as well as writing scenarios for them. Remember this is just an idea that I thought for a while, (definitely got inspired by SoundCloud which lets you comment on songs publicly but I don't think they have something like this or at least specifically.)

Edit: I think whenever you make note you can the option to make it color coded and the notes could be subtle. Like on the three dots it says show note or hide note . I also think Spotify in general should let users have the option to choose to have different colors as the background.)

thank you

29 Replies

So sorry I put it in music chat, but it doesn't let me post it on the Ideas section and I cant post anything on the Help section as well.

Hey mate, I love your idea of notes. Ended up here as I was looking for a way to leave notes myself. Let’s say you share a playlist with someone and the both of you keep adding songs. You would want to leave a note when adding a new song every now and then. Maybe as this song means something to you or maybe it’s just a bit left field and needs some background. t would be such a cool thing if the song popped up the next day on the other person’s playlist and he/she could read your note about the song’s context. 

1000000% Spotify needs a notes function

That's a good idea. You should just go through everything, and cut it down to where it gets it more to the point, and cut out the extra examples. It's a lot to read, and some people may get lost in the details. Then, you should try posting it in the idea section, again. Posting the link to the submitted idea, here, would be good, too.

I could see these notes showing, like lyrics show on some songs. There would be room for both, since only a little bit of the lyrics show, at a time.
Follow me

One workaround is to update the playlist description (maybe with a date at start) then once it’s been read by the other they delete it as unfortunately line breaks aren’t supported and there is a limit on characters.

I have a lot of collab playlists and I have an emoji in the playlist title for me (a 🐨 cuz I’m aussie and most collabs are with peeps from other countries) then I give them an emoji usually either a 🎤 if it’s a vocalist when we are sharing ideas or otherwise a flag of their country or something that they love.

So you could put your emoji with a date and then add text to the description and just let the others know to delete once read.

I also recommend deleting tracks once listened to so they can add to their own playlists and it keeps it organized  (unless it’s a collection of memories playlist or something).

Another option is to setup a collaborative note taking app or to do list (most allow this) and maybe with some automation tools like Zapier or IFTTT etc that notifies the person when a note is added (which is a bonus as it will let them know you have added a track to the Spotify list.

I hope this helps! 😊

Spotify really need to get**bleep** together and add features like this. Not sure what such a big company a doing with all this time and money is doing but I barely see any improvements being made to the app. I really think someone needs to make a better platform that helps kick their ass and to do some damn work and realise they may not be the number one streaming app in a few years.

Just a simple thing that people are begging for and being ignored pisses me off!

I definitely agree with that last paragraph. There are a lot of good ideas being passed up, even though the technology to do it is out there.

Follow me

I have been waiting for this feature for years. I used to have a lot of collab albums and it would have made them so much more fun to note why I had added a song or what it was in reference to. 

Now I just want to save songs from anime OPs and endings and note which anime they are from. 

I have seen notes come up as a suggestion in the past and it keeps getting passed up.

Definitely came here looking for the same feature. This would be a great idea! I would use the **bleep** out of notes, esp as an artist searching for ideas.

Was thinking of adding a note to my songs with their peak position on Billboard's Hot 100.  Obviously not possible without a note function or the ability to make a custom column.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

I agree, Spotify needs to update their software. It has so much potential to be expanded into something much bigger than it its. And thanks for the feedback and your perspective on this!!!

I also recommend deleting tracks once listened to so they can add to their own playlists and it keeps it organized (unless it’s a collection of memories playlist or something).

Another option is to setup a collaborative note taking app or to do list (most allow this) and maybe with some automation tools like Zapier or IFTTT etc that notifies the person when a note is added (which is a bonus as it will let them know you have added a track to the Spotify list.

I hope this helps!

Spotify really need to get **bleep** together and add features like this.

Not sure what such a big company a doing with all this time and money is doing but I barely see any improvements being made to the app.

I really think someone needs to make a better platform that helps kick their ass and to do some damn work and realize they may not be the number one streaming app in a few years.

Just a simple thing that people are begging for and being ignored pisses me off!

Dean's Tank Inc.

Please Spotify get this idea implemented ASAP. 

I use Spotify while mastering RPGs and being able to add comments would make my life a lot easier. 

If I could make notes on shared lists, there's no way I'd ever leave Spotify. It'd be great for retention.

I really love this idea. I was going to suggest it but I hope supporting your idea helps bump this up! I would love this feature especially on collaborative playlists. My inspiration personally comes from video game friend lists. In many games while hovering your friends list, you have the option to click a little sticky note and add a small note about people... what if Spotify had this same set up on songs?

One reason I love Spotify more than any other music platform is that it allows me to interact with other users through shared playlists and listen along sessions. My gaming friends are who I share Spotify with most often thanks to Discord listen along sessions and sometimes I only get to interact with these friends online, so features that allow me to do so in creative ways are so useful to me!

I would really love to add little love notes for my buddies on songs that mean the most to me. For example, in the song "life got crazy" by mike. I would love to write a note on it that says "I'd go to **bleep** in a heartbeat with you guys." or something cheesy, that references the lyrics of that song specifically that everyone in a specific playlist could see.

Crossing my fingers this one goes through. ❤️

I would really like Spotify to have this feature. Maybe we can get Adele to lobby for it 

Was going to write an idea just like this until I found your post! This really should be a feature. It would be awesome.

Hey @musicjam_time and @Cosmro,

Thank you for reaching out in the Community!

Seems you folks have a relevant idea submission for a feature and we can see where you're coming from. We've taken a look and found a similar idea, that has already been posted on our Idea boards - here. Both of you can add your valuable votes and feedback to it and continue to follow it for any future developments. Please note that even if a suggestion didn't gather enough votes in order to get prioritized right now, you can still add your vote and comments there and we'll look into it once the idea reaches the required amount of votes.

If you think that the idea should be considered as separate, you can submit it again in the correct board, highlighting how your idea is distinct from the existing one. You'll also find all the relevant info about our Idea Exchange and how the Community feedback gets implemented here if you'd like to know more about the topic.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Just came here to post a very similar idea and found brilliant the way it is described and proposed here. I would be really eager to see such feature to be able to add annotations that seems relevat for myself related to any music I hear. Sometimes when I'm working and just hearing to some song I go and write down the name of the music and whatever note I have to it in the paper and later cannot find where that comment is. Having it directly on Spotify would be really handful and moreover it is information to be shared with your mates.

I hope this gets concrete soon. If needs to be given a thumbs up in the board you can count with me.

Suggested posts