Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Nexus 6P

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

So I have a BWM 1 series for about a week now and was able to connect spotify without any problems until it stopped working once i got back in my car two days ago. It still shows up in my apps, and sometimes I can click it and continue to the next screen but it doesn't load any further than that. I also get a notification on my phone that it's connected.

The problem started when I used the spotify app on my computer and connected to Sonos. But I already changed it in the computer app so the music plays from my computer itself.

The funny thing is that it does play spotify from my phone connected via bluetooth, just not from the app that's in the list.

Any idea how I can fix this? Already tried to reinstall the app, open the spotify app through the connected drive app, and disconnect/reconnect my phone.

457 Replies

Still the same? I was hoping for the update to fix it...

My '17 X5 was updated by BMW today, and I still do not see Spotify media information in the car.  I reset everything on the phone and in my BMW managed devices (Essential Phone, Android Pi, Spotify premium).

My 2019 X3 courtesy vehicle did the exact same thing by the way when I tried to get Spotify working in that car (today Jan 15).

I connected my daughter's iPhone to my X5 and Spotify worked and displayed appropriately.

I have no problems with Spotify connect on my home theater which I fun from my phone, and I do keep it current.

Until BMW decides to work with Spotify, this issue won't be solved.  For those who sing iPhone and Apple CarPlay praises - nope.  Apple CarPlay could be the worst software I ever used and it was one of the many reasons I went Android 1++ years back.  This is a single app problem and we're stuck between 2 providers.

Got the same response as @marccarney

My app was updated 9th of January this year and it doesn't work in my i3. Do you have a more recent update where Spotify have said it should work?

The response from Spotify Support Team I received several hours ago:

RE: BMW Connected Drive and Spotify for Android not working together [ ref:_00DD0pxIW._5005722bDUR:ref ]
Hey Tom,

Thanks for letting us know, you've been looking around, and found some info on the connected drive console. We're still working on it with BMW to get is fixed the soonest possible.

Many thanks for reporting this. Our tech folks are currently looking into it. A fix should be on its way soon! We've added your account to the list of users to be informed with priority when the fix has been developed, so you will be in the know.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us back. We're happy to help.

Have a nice day,

Erik

Spotify Customer Support

I've got the same issue with a Nokia 8 with Android pie and a BMW 116 F21 from 10/2017

I also contacted Spotify support for the bug with MINI Connected, after an exchange of several emails to define the problem this is their last reply:

Hello again Emiliano,

We can't thank you enough for your patience in dealing with this issue. We're all in this together.

Our tech folks are currently looking into it. A fix should be on its way soon!

We really want to take care of this for you. Please keep your eyes peeled for update. If you have any further questions, please let us know!

Always a pleasure catching up with a fellow music lover,

Jhun

Spotify Customer Support

Now that I also have Vers. 8.4.77.779 it's also working.

But it's a shame, that the updated version is not working. 

I don't believe that it will be fixed within the next updates so I will stick with the older version. 

Well, if it works I will read it here...

Thanks for the updates 

I have exactly the same problems. I took delivery of my new 4 series this week and initially couldn't find the Spotify link but then noticed it appears when my phone synchronises. 

I click on the app and get a blank screen and much like the other posters Spotify works fine via Bluetooth.

I contacted Spotify about this problem via live chat earlier this week and they suggested I remove the Spofity app from my phone and pretty much start again re-pairing (I also have an Samsung Gear watch that I control Spotify with and that still works fine).

This is a really irritating problem made more so by it being really unclear who is actively trying to resolve it (or even acknowledge it's an issue).

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark,
Have you successfully connected Spotify with your car after reinstalling
the app on your phone?
I will try the same this evening.
If it fails I will downgrade the Spotify app and check if the issue is
solved.

It's quite clear that Spotify simply don't care about this or they're incapable of actually performing quality software testing. I've got the same issue in my G01. Every update they make seems to make it worse.  

Pull your finger out Spotify and put OUR money where your mouth is: you either support BMW iDrive or you don't.  

Brand new 5-series and experiencing exactly this issue. Will try rolling back the app to 8.4.77.779 tonight, and then following here to see when I can re-update Spotify.

I suspect the updated Spotify app is also what broke integration with my aftermarket Kenwood head unit on my other car. Will report back if it fixes both!

I've just noticed there is an update to the Spotify app waiting for me in the Playstore, I'll try that on my drive home this evening.

Failing that I'll try and restore the older version, I did try this but my phone (Samsung S7) kept updating to the current version. I did try turning off auto updates on the app.

For simplicity does anyone have a working link to the APK I should be installing please? I always feel a little uncomfortable installing an APK from a random website.

Cheers.

I just tried the latest update and unfortunately it's the same old story...I've reverted back to 8.4.77.779 

APK Mirror is my preferred source for sideload apps: {snip - Community Moderator edit}

To stop auto-update, you need to disable it for that app in Play Store (it will show up there once you've installed the side-loaded version). That should prevent Google Play Services from updating to the latest version.

You need to turn off general app updates in the playstore, not only for the app 

And you can try this one, it worked for me:

{snip - Community Moderator edit}

It's just the first that showed up when googling 

Thanks alot, installing the old version has worked for me too.

Roll on the eventual fix but until then I'm sticking on this version.

Cheers all. 

I can also confirm that 8.4.77.779 made everything work for me. Plays music, playlist selection, album art, the works.

This version also re-enabled Spotify on the aftermarket head unit (Kenwood) in my other car. Problem is definitely with the Spotify app and its ability to talk over bluetooth in general.

Hey there folks!

We've merged some threads regarding the issue with Spotify not working properly with BMW ConnectedDrive.

We also wanted to let you know that our developers are currently looking into this. 

If you're experiencing this issue, we'd recommend clicking +VOTE so you can stay up to speed. We'll let you know as soon as we've got any updates for you.

Thanks again for reporting this!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi, 

You may expand the number of devices affected as it does not work on Samsung Galaxy S9 and, supposedly, on many other Android-based devices 

Suggested posts