UK (mine) and Germany (the connected device I want to remove)
iPhone XS Max and MacBook Pro Mid-2015
iOS 14.1 & macOS 11.2.1
My Question or Issue
I have a device in my Device menu I need to remove but cannot as it is 'Unavailable'.
This is the chronological list of how things happened:
- I had an Amazon Prime household with another person
- I moved to Germany but kept my Spotify as UK (as I only had a UK Bankcard)
- All of my Echo devices ran two Spotify UK subscriptions one per Amazon account
- I moved back to the UK, they were still on my Amazon Prime household
- They purchased an Echo and changed their Spotify account to German, their Spotify on Echo worked fine.
- I turned on all of my Echos and reconnected them after two months in storage
- It stopped the other person from listening to Spotify on their Echo completely
- I removed them from the Amazon Prime household
- Their Spotify service returned however...
- I am now left with a '[Other persons] Echo' in my device menu that says "Unavailable for listening on"
- I know it's unavailable and have no intentions of ever listening on it but I cannot remove it from my device menu as the three dots do not appear like the other devices.
I think that's all of the events. But I cannot get this problem sorted. Hope this can be fixed as its annoying and will likely lead to awkward conversations in the future...
Thanks in advance!
Solved! Go to Solution.
I think I finally solved the issue!
tl;dr You need to disconnect your Spotify account from an Alexa device before performing a factory reset. To do this, you need to remove the Spotify Alexa Skill in the Alexa app, which will terminate the connection between Alexa & Spotify.
I purchased an Amazon Echo Dot and played music on it with my Spotify account. After trying it out, I decided to return the device. So I followed these instructions to de-register the device from my Amazon account and effectively perform a factory reset. However, I still saw my device (“Kitchen Echo”) on my Spotify Connect devices, despite the fact that I performed a factory reset. Then I made this original post.
I then re-set up the Echo by connecting it to my Amazon account. I re-authorized Spotify to connect with Alexa, both in Spotify and in the Alexa App, and then I was able to start playing music through the Echo again. After some trial and error, I went to the Alexa app to remove the Spotify skill (Alexa App > More > Music & Podcasts > Spotify > Disable Skill). I then no longer saw the device in my devices list. I then factory reset the Echo device and proceeded with my return.