Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Samsung Galaxy A51, Windows 10 notebook

Operating System

Android 11, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm listening on several Sonos speakers via Connect. Recently, Spotify has started playing other music once the album I listen to has finished - i.e. it's using the Autoplay feature. Problem is: Autoplay is DISABLED on all devices, but it's still being used. How do I fix this? (I've already reinstalled Spotify on all devices.)

327 Replies

Hey everyone,

A new announcement has been posted in the idea here but I will explain it in more detail below:

[AutoPlay] Option to toggle Autoplay on/off across all devices/platforms 

In the new Spotify desktop app version 1.1.74 there is a NEW setting to turn OFF autoplay on connected devices and the Web Player. A connected device is a device you play to and control through the Spotify app with the Connect feature. (like a speaker) This setting is currently only available in the desktop app, but it will be coming to the mobile app too in a future update. You can enable / disable it in the desktop app right now and it will work the same in the mobile app for connected devices.

The setting acts as a global account setting. Once you enable or disable it in either the desktop app or the mobile app, it will apply to your account and any app you use to play music to connected devices should update to use the same desired setting.

This is what the setting looks like in the desktop app: 

image.png

Note: It can take several minutes for the autoplay setting change to apply to your account and be reflected in the other Spotify apps. One you enable it in one of the Spotify apps, it can take up to 15 minutes to sync the setting to the other Spotify apps.

This new desktop app version 1.1.74 is still being rolled out to all users so you might not have it yet.

Web Player: This setting when enabled or disabled also applies to the Web Player. The Web Player does not have a settings page and is not technically a connected device, but this setting will also be used to control the behavior of autoplay with the Web Player.

Mobile App: This setting is currently only available in the desktop app, but it will be coming to the mobile app too in a future update. It's a global account setting so you can enable or disable autoplay in the desktop app and it will take affect in the mobile app too within several minutes.

What is autoplay? When you are listening to an album or playlist with the repeat option turned off, similar music is added to your queue to keep the music going after the album or playlist has finished. This new setting turns that behavior either on or off.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@MattSuda I have downloaded the latest and greatest desktop app and turned OFF autoplay but it is still not working in the web app and PWA in desktop mode

There are 5 songs in playlist

charizard2021_0-1638933059692.png

Yet Spotify inserts 40+ songs after - autoplay /is/ OFF

charizard2021_1-1638933131284.png

@MattSuda What does it mean that the update is being "rolled out"? All my installations are at version 1.1.73 with no indication of an available update. Running SpotifySetup does nothing to update the version. Please let me update manually so I can get rid of this awful bug.

It seems to work for me ! I did get the update on my office computer, I made the change and it seems to apply it to my home spotify connect devices. Good for Spotify to have answer to this concern.
Now, I hope that the HiFi quality will arrive as promised before the end of the year.

The problem is solved! Thanks!

Glad it's fixed but it's really stupid that there are two separate switches for autoplay to be disabled.

I had to reinstall the app on my Mac and now it works: you'll find 2 Autoplay settings and you you have to disable the second one.

PXL_20211210_171432800.jpg

The fix is still not available for the Linux app. I need to borrow a Mac for this.

Let’s have the fix for iOS now as well please.

@user-removed 

The Linux app is not actively supported on the same schedule as the Windows and Mac desktop apps. So from time to time the Linux app will be updated usually after several months, but in general it will be slower to get the changes you see in the Windows and Mac desktop apps.

From the Linux download page:

"Spotify for Linux is a labor of love from our engineers that wanted to listen to Spotify on their Linux development machines. They work on it in their spare time and it is currently not a platform that we actively support. The experience may differ from our other Spotify Desktop clients, such as Windows and Mac. You can tell us what you think and ask other users for help at the Desktop (Linux) board in The Spotify Community forum."

Hopefully you'll see this change eventually!

-----------------------

@lsnGA 

This setting is currently only available in the desktop app, but it will be coming to the mobile app too in a future update. It's a global account setting so you can enable or disable autoplay in the desktop app and it will take affect in the mobile app too within several minutes.

MattSudaSpotify Star

@antipopmonkey 

Rolling out means that over time all users will eventually get the new update. Some users will get it first, then more users, and more until everyone gets the new update.

This support article shows how to see if an update is available in the desktop app:

https://support.spotify.com/article/updating-spotify/

Should also show if an update is available if you go to ---> About Spotify popup window

The blue dot and text in the about window only show up when there is an update ready and you'll have the option to restart to install it.

MattSudaSpotify Star

@charizard2021 

Are you still having trouble getting it to work? It can take several minutes after you turn the setting off to update on your account. Try again and let me know how it goes.

MattSudaSpotify Star

By the looks of it, ability to turn off auto-play isn't (/won't be?) available on Spotify Web?

Hey @YellowAfterlife

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We can confirm that the option to manage Autoplay has been released for the desktop app. You just need to install the latest version and you'll find it by heading over to Settings > Autoplay > Autoplay similar songs when your music ends on other devices and this will apply globally for connected devices and the web player. This toggle will persist also when using a connected device via mobile.

Hope this helps. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey @Eni,

Have you read my comment by any chance? I'm asking about the web version ( https://open.spotify.com/ ) rather than desktop/mobile.

Hi @YellowAfterlife

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Keep in mind that the Autoplay similar songs when your music ends on other devices option needs to be toggled on from the app settings in the desktop app. Once this option is toggled on, it'll apply for the web player and the connected devices as well. 

If you have any questions, just let us know.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi @Eni

the main problem is, that some of us do not have access to a Windows or iOS computer and are therefore unable to install "the latest version of the desktop app". I am waiting for the mobile app to be released, because I do not see the option to manage Autoplay come to the linux desktop app anytime soon.

From a users point of view the easiest solution  would be to put the settings menu to the webplayer.

I can confirm that switching the setting in the native version worked for the web player, and also that opening a Windows VM to tick a checkbox is a bit of an overkill.

Happens with Chromecast and drives me nuts. How difficult can it be to forward a flag? Also, Chromecast plays shuffled by default which you should fix as you go. 

Hi folks,

Thank you for your replies. 

We want to let you know that as for today, we've been rolling out on the mobile app the setting to toggle on/off AutoPlay on external devices, so please make sure to keep your app up-to-date to not miss this feature. 

@e_ijk The issue you mention about the shuffle feature on your Chromecast isn't usual. In this case, we invite you to create a new thread where we can assist you with that specific issue.

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts