Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to play a playlist on Amazon Echo

Solved!

How to play a playlist on Amazon Echo

I created a playlist and am telling Amazon's Echo to play it but it won't. Suggestions? I'm a premium subscriber.

60 Replies

I was having the same problem even when saying exactly what as written in other posts here. I decided to unplug the power from Echo, wait 30 seconds and plug the power back in. It worked fine after that! Good old reboot troubleshooting. Clearly an issue with Echo.

no that doesnt work. 

Tried that; but if the playlist has the same name as a track; it defaults to the track.

For example:

Playlist name: Ride my Bike

Results in playing: Ride my Bike by The Pack.

The command issues: Alex play spotify Ride My Bike playlist.

I had had the same problem with Alexa not recognising the playlist I made, or she would recognise them for a while and then forget suddenly that I had any playlists. I did discover that if you link your phone to Alexa by bluetooth and start playing a playlist on spotify, Alexa seems to suddenly see your playlist and will continue to play the playlist even if the pone is disconnected from bluetooth and spotify.

I just purchased an echo dot and mine would not connect to my Spotify playlist either, it said it couldn't find it in the library so I just opened my Spotify through my desktop, opened a new file called, library, and copied my playlist to that and now it's playing. Hope that helps!

All that's needed is to say

"Alexa shuffle "name of playlist" playlist"

No need to say Spotify since Spotify is already set to default music player. Saying this she searches for specific artists or playlist in the Spotify app.

Solution solved!
Marked as solution

"Alexa, on Spotify play the *playlist name* playlist."

it seems to work sometime then others not

also it wont work if you have multiple playlists saved with the exact some name

Marked as solution

oh thankyou !!! i went through a few of my playlists and she only saw one. then i realised my playlists are two words put together and she was thinking there was a space inbetween etc. so i renamed playlists to more simple terms.

Hi, i have connected my spotify premium to My echo dot but when i ask alexa to play spotify she keeps telling me to connect?! I don't know what else to do!

So long as you set Spotify as the default music account (in your app) this works:

"Alexa, play playlist [name]."

why o why do amazon make this so **bleep** difficult.

echo, and 5 dots will not play any playlist....if i ask for any song, no bother...

funny how my two google home's set up spotify 100% no bother, and play playlists 100% no bother....

i just signed back up to spotify after long time away....got offer of £9.99 for 3 months....thats me back for good ;)....but NOT with any amazon device....

is this amazon new ploy to pi$$ people off with spotify, and not show, or let people play spotify playlists...so they sign up to amazon music...well they can sod right off !!

i have tried every dam thing to get these deives to play my spoty playlists....set to default music spotify, turn off/on devices, turn router on/off....reset the whole dam lot...NOTHING !

you know what amazon, you can shove your echo and dots....cant sell em as no **bleep** wants to buy them ( have tried to )..funny that eh ?  people are moving to google home for obvious **bleep** reasons - they are great for home automation, and THATS IT !

google home is catching up, and quickly...so i,m off to buy another google home today...pi$$ed well off trying to sort this music **bleep** out with there amazon echo and dots...it AIT SPOTIFYS FAULT HERE....

i was having the same problem... hahaha so simple thankyou.

I figured this out, and why it works sometimes and not others. The keyword here is MY.

"Alex, play MY playlist 'playlist name' on Spotify." Since I first tried this out yesterday, it's worked everytime like a charm!

just spoken to Echo help department.  Apparently there is a major issue with playlists from both amazon and Spotify music on the Echo dot devices at the moment.  Amazon are looking into this and hope to have it fixed soon. 

The more people let amazon know the better. 

Hope this is of some help

Vicki.

I said "Alexa? Shuffle (Name of Playlist) on Spotify" and it worked.  Considering is soft jazz music to rest and relax with, Im good with the shuffling

I have tried every darn suggestion I can find and none of them work. Very frustrating.

Just requested to send mine back - my kids have the older version and have never had any problems. Spent 4 days trying everything - buying a google home. 

in Spotify make sure you have a unique playlist name and ask alexa "play my (playlist neame) playlist from spotify"

After days of frustration I have finally figured it out.  I have an Amazon.ca and an Amazon.com account.  I live in Canada.  My Spotify account is in Canada.  I tried for days to make it play my lists, renaming playlists,  adding account, removing account, trying different types of phrases nothing worked.  I purchased my Echo from the Amazon.ca website, however, when I looked at my Devices the Echo was listed in my Amazon.com account.  I moved the Echo to my Amazon.ca account and wouldn't you know it playlists played flawlessly, and all I have to say is "Alexa, play Home Music playlist" ...boom  🙂

I don't know how many people have this same issue. I found the solution on the Amazon site.  Tell Alexa to "Play spotify". Then tell Alex to "Play Playlist XXXXXX from Spotify".

Works great.

Suggested posts