Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Releases section is not updating

New Releases section is not updating

Hi! 

I registered for premium on Spotify exactly one month ago, when Spotify launched in Romania. Apart from the fact that the "Discover Weekly" playlist is still not showing up after one month of subscription in "Discover" (from what I know, it takes about two weeks for it to show up), and I can find it only if I search for "Discover Weekly" and follow the playlist, I have another problem which is a bit annoying. 

In the "New Releases" section, where Albums and Singles show up, I keep seeing the same recommendations sice day 1 of my subscription. Nothing changed. I would really like to see the latest releases based on what I listen to. I use Release Radar, indeed, but I don't follow ALL the artists I like, some may have slipped through and therefore, I would love to be able to see the New Releases updated when something comes out, plus, it also helps me be always in touch with new artists as my occupation implies that I am always up to date with new releases.

Strange thing is that my girlfrend also started the accound when I did, after Spotify launched in Romania, and she sees the same new releases as in day one as well. Can this be fixed? Is it something that has to do with the region? It would be pretty odd since I don't see how region would affect the new releases page. 

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Andrei 

Top Answer
Xenia

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and bearing with us while we've been looking into this.

We want you to know that the New Releases sections are being managed and distributed differently depending on the country or region and we believe that this is the main reason for this segment to be updated irregularly for some users. However, we advise you to always keep your apps running on the latest supported versions to ensure that all features will work as expected and you don't miss out on any fixes.

It's also worthwhile checking out the What's New feed, which is available on Android and iOS and keeps you up to speed about new releases/listings from your followed artists.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any further questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Top Answer
Lyubka
Hey folks,

We understand your frustration when New Releases section is not updating, however the reasons for this happening could be much different for each and every one of you.
We can confirm that the team has made changes to the feature and the behavior described in this thread at this time step should have improved. As this thread here has become too general and has grown a bit old, going forward, we'd like to close it off, so feel free to start a new thread where you give us more info about what exactly is happening and what you've tried to resolve this.

We're always working on making the algorithm better and we'd love to help if you experience difficulties with the New Releases updating.
We recommend:
  • performing a clean reinstall using the steps here;
  • clearing cached files;
  • logging out > restarting > logging back in;
  • keeping the app running on the latest supported versions.
We hope this clears things up. Take care!
98 Replies

It looks like Spotify has a problem somewhere with its cache. The data center that is serving East Europe and/or The Middle East (I am from Israel), returns the stale New Releases list. Once I open an incognito session and connect over VPN to the US, I get a fresh list of new releases; once I disconnect VPN and open a new incognito window, I get the stale list.

I hope this helps to fix this issue - quite annoying and not the best value for a Premium account

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure how to do what you described, but anyhow it's not a solution for Premium account users... this is a problem going on for too long and they have to fix it asap...

You don't need to do anything. The info I provided is for the Spotify team to review and understand what may be causing the issue.

Thanks! hope they will solve it asap

Any updates? This is so frustrating

True.

Very frustrating

My partner just logged in to Spotify with her fairly newly created account on her laptop, we're both in the same region, using the same network etc. She gets the latest and correct New Releases list on both Windows App and Web Player. So seems to be account specific, I guess if there was a way for us to clear the cache stored towards our accounts the problem might be fixed... but since its looking like cache stored directly on Spotify's servers (if it was some local cache the Web Player would have shown the latest New Releases for me but it also shows the stagnant list) we can't really do that. I don't even have Spotify Premium and this is getting beyond annoying, I can't even imagine how bad it is for people who actually pay for this service =]

The only tabs that are keeping me going are "New releases for you" and obviously the "Release Radar", thankfully those still work as intended. Even "Popular new releases" which used to work fine and actually showed new stuff until last week is now bugged and showing selections from the stagnant list. 

Thanks! you are so right. It is surely some kind of cache problem.

I have also tried to open a new free account and the situation is the same.

I have a premium account and it is so frustrating that this is the situation for such a long time. I don't really understand why it takes so much time to fix it...

Half. A. Year.
We see the same "new" music for 6 month already.

This is no longer frustrating, but insulting!

I've never seen such unprofessionalism in tech for a while now.

You leave me no choice but to publish new music from Apple in this forum so that your paying customers could still browse new albums while it takes you a full year to fix this nonsense.

Shame!

New Releases from Apple - Sep 13th

drorar_0-1631522414547.png

Something is slowly moving on: all in a sudden some 34 new albums (I mean, really "new") were added to the "New Releases" after almost three years of silence. This might easily be an isolated event as something similar happened in the past, but I can see some light now. I will be checking in the following weeks/months if this is something real.   

Nothing has changed for me.... The first four new releases are the same as they've been for over 6 months now... 😒

werk91_0-1631614767540.png

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and bearing with us while we've been looking into this.

We want you to know that the New Releases sections are being managed and distributed differently depending on the country or region and we believe that this is the main reason for this segment to be updated irregularly for some users. However, we advise you to always keep your apps running on the latest supported versions to ensure that all features will work as expected and you don't miss out on any fixes.

It's also worthwhile checking out the What's New feed, which is available on Android and iOS and keeps you up to speed about new releases/listings from your followed artists.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any further questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Xenia,

Thanks for replying here. 

What users on this thread are seeking is an explanation why the New Releases section is getting zero updates for over 6 months.

Why is it that one region is treated differently than others? There were no issues with this list in the past, so what is keeping Spotify from keeping it up to date?

If that can be explained, those of us who pay for a Premium experience will be able to decide if this is the type of subscription we are willing to continue paying for.

Other services are updating these lists, and the "What's New" feed is indeed showing new releases, but it is not what we are asking about.

I update my Apps, and Spotify among them, regularly and can see no updates on the web version either, so this is not the issue here.

Thanks!

Thanks Xenia, although the message does not clarify things and it rather brings bad news as it seems that the problems is still not taken seriously in charge by Spotify. Please stop telling us to update the apps, we all do that and the problem is clearly not there. Also, why a new jazz release would be distributed differently among regions? What's the logic? Last, I am not interested in feeds, as a subscriber I want to see what's new directly in the app.

haha in your raply you literaly stated that you're incompetent to fix the
problem. Please go work somewhere else. And fix this problem or make the
app free. We pay for something that doesn't work and you don't want to fix.

Also worth noting that while this recently added "What's New" list seems to work okay and stays up to date it is a feature only available on the mobile apps. There's no way to access the same feature/feed on Spotify Desktop which for me is a deal breaker as that is where 98% of my usage is. If I have to take out my phone each time just to check the new releases while I have the Spotify Desktop app running right in front of me then something is seriously broken with the whole design I would say 🙂

I have to say, not getting a serious response for 6 months and then a generic "make sure your client is updated" response from Spotify is insulting.

I like Spotify but have started looking at alternatives (yt music/apple music) as things have gotten very stale recently (this issue + forcing podcasts on my home screen have pushed me over the edge)

I keep checking and these days a bunch of new albums were added to the "New Releases"section, altogether 45 new albums in the last month or so, never happened before. It does seem that things are moving on... fingers crossed.  

Hey everyone,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

@kudepi we're happy to hear that your the section got updated for you. Keep us posted on hoe things develop.

To everyone else still experiencing this issue, we'd really appreciate some screenshots of how the New Releases section of the app looks at your end. Make sure to also include an approximation of how log it's been since it's last update.

Thanks, we'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts