Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

PS4 Spotify Keeps Stuttering Even In Single Player Games

PS4 Spotify Keeps Stuttering Even In Single Player Games

I have Spotify Premium and I am trying to play my music whilst gaming whether it be offline or online games and no matter what game I play, spotify keeps stuttering and it's super annoying. I do have a very slow connection of like 2mbps, but this never happens with my PC. It only stutters on PS4 and I do not know why it does this as it should not be doing this. Help? Sometimes it'll play fine and other times it won't, and sometimes it takes like literally 10 minutes for it to clear up and work smoothly and it's really annoying, especially when I'm playing a single player game like ZA4 and MC or even CoD. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Help?

29 Replies

Hi there @thezombiekillr9,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

Can you try to redownload Spotify?

We also suggest that you try to restart your router.

Let us know how it hoes 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi, i have the same problem and tried a lot of things. Even tried restarting my router and re-downloading it. On my phone and other devices it works fine, but when i play games and have spotify in the background it keeps Stuttering. Do you have a another solution? I would like a reply

Hey @

Thanks for the post.

You could try turning off QoS on your router. This option re-routes traffic with higher priority to some devices, and can cause such issues with Playstations.

You can google your router's model and check out how to disable QoS online.

Let us know if that helped 🙂

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Did anyone find a fix for this? I have tried deleting and downloading again and my QoS is disabled already. I didn't have this problem before but can hardly use Spotify now even when playing simple Need for Speed racing games.

Hi @spikey369!

Something else you can test is changing the default MTU value in your PS4's network settings to 1450 or 1473, then restarting the PS4 to see if that would have any effect on this.

Let us know how it goes.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hey. Thanks for the help. It didn't work though. Is the PS4 actually able to play songs as you play?  The minute I minimise the game the songs play okay.

Hey there @spikey369,

Thanks for the reply.

The PS4 should be able to play music while gaming. Can you let us know when this started happening roughly? There was a PS firmware update recently, was the app behaving OK before that?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I am not sure when I don't often listen as I play. But am sure it hasn't played well this year at least.

I am not sure when I don't often listen as I play. But am sure it hasn't
played well this year at least.

Hey there @spikey369,

Thanks for the reply.

What you can try is to un-link Spotify from your PSN and re-link it. You can follow the instruction here to do so.

After that you should be able to play music while you're gaming.

1. While in your game, press the PS button to go to the control center and select Music.
  2. Choose a song or podcast you want to play. Your selection starts playing automatically. The song that is playing appears as a card in the control center.
  3. Press the PS button to return to the game you were playing.

If that still doesn't work, check this list of supported countries. If the country of your account and PS are not in the list, this might be preventing you from using this feature.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

Thanks Alex. I tried those but they didn't work at first. However, after some days I noticed it was playing without problems after I pushed my listening from the Spotify android app to the PS4. Not sure if it was because of that (starting on the phone app then casting to the console) or if it was something else (I also noticed my internet speed on the PS4 was considerably faster) or if it was because of your guidance. Either way, it's working now. Maybe anyone else facing this problem can try these steps.

Hey there @spikey369,

Fantastic news! Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help.

Have a good one 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey! oofergamerlife here. i have also been encountering the same problems on my ps4, stuttering, pausing randomly, and even closing the spotify application entirely. I did all the steps previously mentioned before and so far nothing has worked. whats weird is i never had a problem with spotify on my ps4 until tonight at roughly around 3:30PM and it was working fine still even after the recent ps4 software update. if its not the system update that is causing the problem then what is? gaming without spotify is blasphemy! pls tell me there will be a fix for this or something?😭😭

Having same problem, started recently about a week ago or so. Music from the same Spotify account works fine on IOS or any other device, except PlayStation. Wether I'm listening through connecting my phone to the PlayStation or just using Spotify on PlayStation to listen, it constantly skips and gets to the point of just out wright ending. I have tried relinking, redownloading and restarting wifi, none have worked. 

To provide an update, seems my fix was only temporary; only lasted a day or two and then I was back to unlistenable playback. Spotify, please sort this out ASAP!

Hey folks,

Thank you for your continuous feedback so far.

We realize the logistics around this next suggestion are a bit complicated, but if it's possible, can you please try connecting your PS to a different network or try switching from a wired to a wireless connection (or vice versa)? This will help us narrow down the possible cause of the issue.

Looking forward to your replies.

Take care,

MihailYModerator

Thanks Mihail,

Actually not too complicated at all. I already tried those and it failed the last time. Tried it again following your suggestion. It plays well for the first few minutes but then reverts to stuttering.

Thanks for the help though.

Hey @spikey369,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Can you please make sure Spotify on PlayStation is available in the country you're currently located? If not, that's probably the main cause of your issue.

Keep us posted.

Take care,

MihailYModerator

Thanks. Am in Kenya and my PlayStation is registered to the UK because it's not available here. Spotify works here though. However, am not sure that's the problem. Spotify just recently became official in Kenya and I used to use it on the console before it was registered here without any issues. Also, Spotify plays flawlessly when I minimise a game so maybe it's about CPU resources. I don't remember the last time I saw an update to the PS4 Spotify app, maybe it just needs to be optimised. But maybe you are right and it's another region issue. 

While am here, I recently tried playing with the audio quality to see if it helps. I can change the quality on my phone and laptop apps but not on the PS4 app. Is there any way to do that? Maybe if I set it to low quality it could be smoother. 

Suggested posts