Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback Restricted Devices Greyed Out

Playback Restricted Devices Greyed Out

I cannot connect my Spotify to echo devices anymore. All devices greyed out and read 'Playback Restricted'. Have tried deleting and reinstalling Spotify and Alexa apps, clearing cache, resetting wifi, unplugging and re-powering echos. All to no avail. Work-arounds very welcome
155 Replies

I also have this issue. iPhone 12 + three Samsung speakers on the Wi-Fi, since a few weeks back they all show up as Playback Restricted and i can’t play Spotify on them.

it still works to broadcast to my Samsung TV though.

Screnshot

DFA854D6-298A-4079-9116-8BA00E3D23DA.png

Hi folks, what worked for me was unplugging all my devices, waiting a minute and then replugging them in. Then open your Spotify app and it (finally) rescans. When in doubt, take the plug out!

Hey folks!

Thanks for all the info shared 🙂

We've passed this info on to our tech team. This is being investigated, so stay tuned for any updates.

We'll be here if anything else comes up.

Take care!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

So like many others I had the exact same symptoms on my echo dot. All my Alexa devices were working fine, except this one.

i took the following steps to resolve the issue for me:

In the Alexa app:

Devices > Groups >  here I selected group “Bedroom” and selected “Edit” (top right corner). I added the non working echo dot to this group and selected “Save” to save the changes.

i then closed my alexa and spotify app to restart them.

In the spotify app I also adjusted one setting which one might want to verify:

From the spotify app main menu select the cogwheel (top right corner) to go to settings > select devices > make sure “Show local devices only” is disabled to see the Echo’s

above steps fixed this issue for me, i hope it is useful for others.

I was having same problem of one of three Echo Dots reading "playback unavailable" on both iPhone 7 and Macbook. Additionally would not play through Alex app or verbally asking Alexa to play Spotify (would say it was playing but no sound). This seemed to be for all songs/playlists and podcasts. Also Alexa would play other apps (iHeartRadio, Audible) so it was just Spotify. Using some of the suggestions here, seems to have finally fixed the issue. I did the following:

- Deleted all groups in Alexa app

- Removed Spotify skill in Alexa app

- Deleted Alexa and Spotify apps from phone and computer

- Reinstalled Alexa and Spotify apps on phone and computer

- Added Spotify skill in Alexa app (this caused Spotify to recognize the two speakers that were working; the one that was not working now disappeared from the eligible list)

- Removed effected Echo Dot from Amazon account online

- Unplugged effected Echo Dot

- Plugged back in Echo Dot creating a factory reset

- Echo Dot is now back listed on Spotify apps (in phone and computer) and available for playing; will play to Echo Dot now, seems to have fixed problem

I'm wondering if just the factory reset would have done it, without all those other steps first. I hope this helps some of you! It was certainly frustrating for me!

I’m having the same problem but with my ps4

Same issue. 
worked fine for years. Now all 12 of my devices are being restricted. 

Getting very frustrated with this issue, have tried reinstall, restart, all sorts. It seems that the App needs a reset option for the device connection, or perhaps a switch to Tidal will make the problem go away.

Yes, I have the same exact issue as this.  Specifically when playing This American Life podcast it greys out my playback devices.  Very Strange.

Hello - Unfortunately my fix was only temporary and today, the one Echo Dot that was giving me trouble is not connected. It says "playback unavailable" in the Spotify app on my iPhone and "unavailable to connect" on the Spotify app on my Macbook.

This is clearly an ongoing problem with the Spotify to Alexa connection as the speakers themselves work and Alexa will connect to other music apps.

I have the same 'playback restricted' issue, though not specific to a track or episode. However, it is specific to accessing spotify through a browser (doesn't matter which browser)... What happens is my Amazon Echo Dot device shows in the list of available devices, connected via Spotify Connect. Yet when I try to connect to it nothing happens, it never connects, doesn't even attempt it. And through the web version of Spotify it still shows as connected, yet when I then open the spotify app on either android or iphone device it shows the echo dot greyed out (playback restricted).

Mine is working again! I received an update notification for my Yamaha receiver and after that was done my device is available and Spotify Connect works again. 

That worked. Thank you

I had this problem. 

Disabling and re-enabling the Alexa App Spotify skill resolved the issue. 

However, the problem returns if I turn the speaker off and back on again. 

Has there been a solution to this? I’m having same issue - one particular podcast won’t play on echo. Very annoying!!

My workaround playing Spotify on iPhone to echo devices / groups of devices that are greyed out: start plying Spotify on your phone. Tell Alexa on greyed out device to play Spotify. She should start. If you’re trying to play on a group, make sure to do this on all devices individually first then tell Alexa to ply Spotify on the group. Works for me every time. Annoying but better than reinstalling/resetting factory. 

I am having the same problem! Had no issues at first with Spotify but plenty with echo. Spotify eventually started showing the playback restricted sign, independent from what im trying to play. 

Am having the same issue with my echo dot. The workaround I’ve found is to create a speaker group on the Alexa app and include the device in said group. Then go to Spotify and select the speaker group as the device. This means it will play in multiple echo devices so not ideal, but at least it works.

I'm using my iphone as a remote control for either Sonos or an Ifi Zen Stream on my stereo. The Alexa trick wont work on the latter, which is my most frequent use. If i use my wifes spotify login on her tablet on the same family group then it works while things are greyed out on mine.

Suggested posts