Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Queue plays exactly the same songs, every time

Queue plays exactly the same songs, every time

Whenever I reach the end of one of my playlists, Spotify goes ahead and generates a queue of recommended suggestions.  K cool.  However, it's gotten to the point that I can predict 95% of the songs that it's going to play.  

As a feature that is supposed to help me discover new music (or at least, not actively infuriate me) all it is doing is overplaying and ruining songs.  The algorithm will pick up a song that I have just listened to, and play it again, and again.  Maybe every 25th tune will be one that I haven't heard before (if I'm lucky) or at least something that I haven't heard for a while.  As a success ratio for predicting like songs, that's atrocious.

It's mostly incredibly frustrating because I know how much data is available to your platform, and it's a bit of an insult that your ML team cannot even get the basics of "don't play the same song three times an hour" down.  There are people who would sell their firstborn to feed their models with your data, so it's like, seriously can you not do better?

So obviously you're not going to build a better model just because I'm annoyed (and yeah I'm sure you're working on it, anyway).  But if there could at least be a way of "banning" songs, that would be a good intermediary step.  Some kind of denylist to take overplayed tunes out of the pool.  Even a way of setting a filter for possible suggestions, eg: "as a user, if I have listened to a song x times in last month, don't shove it in my face for the nth time."  Something like that.  

There used to be the thumbs-up, thumbs-down buttons (which I'm gonna bet were primarily aesthetic) so could we not have something like that back?  A "click this and we won't suggest this song again" button.  Users who use the platform heavily would not mind providing feedback if it genuinely resulted in an improved listening experience.  I am such a user.  I would not mind.

Thanks.  And sorry ML team, I'm sure you guys are great.  I get that recommendations tend towards silos.  But with the resources at your disposal, as the biggest music streaming platform in the world, I gotta believe that you can do better.  

1 Reply

Hey there @siansian

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we can understand your frustation. New music discovery is an importmat part of the Spotify experience.

We were able to find a couple of ideas here and here for which you might want to leave a +Vote and subscribe for updates.

In the meantime we can also recommend that you save more of the music you enjoy in Your Library so that the algorithm could get to know your taste better.

Another thing is not using Private session when streaming tracks that you enjoy because that might also influence your recommendations.

If you're interested in how ideas work and how your feedback reaches the right teams here, check this page out.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. We'd be happy to help.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts