Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops playing after an ad

We've received reports that Spotify pauses after an ad and the playback cannot be resumed. This seems to affect multiple platforms including desktop, mobile, and TV.

The behavior is currently being investigated.

Hey folks,

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
MihailY

Hey folks,

Sorry for the late reply. I just received news from the team that unfortunately this approach won't work so let's try something else.

@DennisYYC, since your issue is with the desktop version, please check out the steps in this comment for generating a log file and send it here or to me via a DM.

@Crazylola47, I'm afraid there's no way to generate a Spotify log file on iOS, but if you have a desktop device (Windows or MacOS) and the issue is reproducible there, feel free to try the above and send over the file.

Thanks for your help!

Malonedogg5

@MihailY I will gladly contribute to this. All of my device info (Xbox One) has been provided at least twice in this same thread. My Spotify version is 2.26.35.70 and this just occurred at 7:58 AM MDT after an ad for Chime. Please get this fixed ASAP, as it has now been nearly 3 years since this issue was first reported and the contributors to this post have been providing the requested device/version information with no response from Spotify since September. 

FernandoBurmeister

After 11 months suffering with this issue I decided to sign Spotify, what I did 10 days ago. Problems stopped immediatelly. So, as many other people said to me, this is a way for Spotify to force people to stop using free Spotify and make them to sign and pay.

Rgds.,

Fernando Burmeister

Brazil

strerd

Over the last 2 hours, having updated twice, Spotify crashes after an ad. I updated it yesterday.

5 times & counting. Get things working properly.

Malonedogg5

@MihailY My Spotify Xbox app just failed to continue playing, not an ad this time but after a song. It was a freshly launched playlist and there is another song queued in the corner of the window so it is not natural behavior, as the playlist should have continue playing onto the next song. Spotify version is 2.26.35.70 and it happened at 1:00 AM MDT. The photo below is what has been displayed for over 5 minutes since the app stopped playing, with the full duration of the song having played, the app is unpaused and the next song is queued in the upper corner of the screen. 

image.jpg

pmetro
Since I first posted on this, it seems to be less of an occurrence that it
happens.
MihailY
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey folks,

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Leapndolphin

• Amazon Firestick version 1.78.11
  • This happens when an ad comes on. The ad stops playing and the system doesn't go back to playing a song. It is stuck on the ad but the ad has already played so there is just silence.
  • I try the back button and it takes me back to the playlist but when I select the song, it goes back to the ad in silence.
  • I try exiting out of Spotify by pressing the home button. When I go back into Spotify, the silent ad is still active.
  • The only way I can start Spotify working again is to go to Applications, then Manage Installed Applications, choose Spotify, choose Force Stop then Launch Application.
  • This happens frequently though there isn't any rhyme or reason to when it happens.
hecaitou

Hi guys, I think I've found a solution:

Switching to another speaker with the Spotify app might solve this issue.

Here are the specific steps:

Spotify stops playing after an ad

Greed915

I'm having the same problem on my PS5 I'm using the free version on it but after 2 or 3 songs it'll either get stuck and stop playing music all together or an ad will start and the it gets stuck on the ad and doesn't continue I've tried to see if it was just because I had it on shuffle play but it continues even without it being on shuffle and so far it's only doing it on my ps5 it works fine on my phone so I'm just wondering what I can do to fix I've tried deleting the app on my ps5 and reinstalling it but it continued doing it and im getting tired of having to restart the app every time it does it and sometimes it's frequent enough to the point where i just stop using the app for a couple of days from how frustrated I am.

17148935349278752367530638982412.jpg