Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Samsung Galaxy Watch - Remote Mode

Solved!

Samsung Galaxy Watch - Remote Mode

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia (Currently Internationally Roaming)

Device

Samsung Galaxy S9+/Samsung Galaxy Watch

Operating System

Android 8.0.0/Tizen 4.0.0.1

My Question or Issue

Hello Spotify,

I have recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Watch and have installed Spotify as an application on the device. I currently overseas for work and do not have a Wifi connection, thus am trying to use the Watch in Remote Mode for my Phone rather than Wifi Streaming. However when I go to switch the Mode it is stating that it cannot connect the Watch to Spotify's App on the Phone even though the Bluetooth Connection is strong and working correctly. Any idea what to do?

72 Replies

Yeah, same issue with other Bluetooth devices such as kenwood head unit. Starting from v.8.4.79.779.

I tried to contact support for my issue (kenwood head unit) but it suggests me to use Android auto because it's not certified 😮 . Facepalm

@OryZ wrote:

Yeah, same issue with other Bluetooth devices such as kenwood head unit. Starting from v.8.4.79.779.

Do you mean 8.4.77.779?

I don't think that version exists. Build 8.4.79.x looks to cover versions:

8.4.79.602 beta, 8.4.79.606 beta, 8.4.79.612 beta, 8.4.79.620 beta, 8.4.79.624 beta, 8.4.79.630

Does 8.4.79.630 work for you? I've included a Download link on the previous page.

@OryZ wrote:

I tried to contact support for my issue (kenwood head unit) but it suggests me to use Android auto because it's not certified 😮 . Facepalm

Sorry who suggested to use Android Auto? Spotify or Kenwood? What isn't certified?

I suggest we all log a Support Ticket with Spotify Support:

Email:
support@spotify.com

Or Live Chat:
https://support.spotify.com/uk/contact-spotify-support/

I doubt they'll be reading this forum much/if at all.

Post your ticket number here so we can include it in correspondence with Spotify so they can see they've got more than one support ticket open.

If you don't want to Downgrade the Android App (Dowload links here) this workaround works a treat too on the Samsung Galaxy Watch but not Gear S3:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Samsung-gear-S3-Remote-conection/m-p/...

Here's my reply from Spotify support (conact email address above). It looks like it's not as clear cut as being solely a Spotify issue. Include my ticket number when contacting Spotify:

Thanks for reaching out to us and for reporting that you cannot connect to the Spotify app when you're on remote mode. No worries, we're here to help.

Our tech folks are currently looking into it with Samsung. A fix should be on its way soon, so make sure your app and firmware are up to date.

Here's the ticket number 13325387.

I am not sure I believe that... It is defo an issue present in the new app... The galaxy watch app and software was not updated... The only thing that changed was the Spotify main app. I will email them too. 

I got a Samsung Galaxy Watch update around Christmas and a Spotify watch app update around then.

Although granted this broke before then.

Yes it's the Android app that changed but that's not explicatally what this means though. It's Samsung's archecture, they own Tizen. It's stands to reason Spotify will need to work with them.

Because annoyingly Mobile apps don't have released Change Logs like Desktop apps do we don't know what's different between 8.4.80.x (and newer) and 8.4.79.x. It could be Spotify expected Samsung to implement something to work with this new version and they haven't.

Take the responce as a positive, they're working on a fix.

There is actually an easy fix. Normally a Samsung Music widget lets you control Spotify in remote mode.

If you want to use Spotify widget/app instead open Samsung Music app on your watch, then click three dots and the phone icon. This will show you an available music sources with Spotify selected. Choose something different and then Spotify app and widget start working in remote mode 🙂

Dont know about anyone else but I dont have the 3 dots option when the Samsung player is set to phone, its only there when its set to watch

Do you have a Galaxy Watch or Galaxy Gear?

There are people with the Gear S3 who in the other thread on this forum who've said the dots aren't there. It is for me with the Galaxy Watch.

This workaround was posted twice above, including this addition :).

Its a galaxy watch and everything is up to date.  On the phone music screen there is no 3 dots or the swipe up menu that the watch view has.  The track is always listed as Unknown too which is probably related to the issue.   The phone is a OnePlus3 running android 8

Also on a Galaxy Watch, and no 3 dots. Do you have the Spotify app installed on the watch?

It's not reliant on the Spotfy app.

The Samsung watch Music App detects which music related apps you have installed and can bet set to talk to any of them. I can't say why you don't have the dots. Do you have the latest Samsung updates installed? Google it maybe?

For instance I'm using it to control the BBC Sounds music app.

If you don't have the three dots downgrade the Spotify app for now. I posted links on the previous page. I prefer this as it's proper Spotify integration.

Got it to work now - had to restart both the phone and the watch.

Restarting the watch got the 3 dots and full functionality from the native music app, thanks!

I had same issues using watch for music leaving 

phone at home while working out. Never worked from spotify.  Today everything worked. I was about ready to get rid of galaxy watch and spotify 

Very annoying.  I can no longer recommend Spotify to friends until they fix this issue.

@Wings1523 wrote:

I had same issues using watch for music leaving 

phone at home while working out. Never worked from spotify.  Today everything worked. I was about ready to get rid of galaxy watch and spotify 

It's still not working for me. It only works if you install an older version of the Spotify Android app.

The last version that this worked with is 8.4.79.630 from 9th of November 2018 from 2.5 months ago :(. To make things worse Spotify have released several Android updates recently 😕

Everyone chase Spotify suport -> sup port@spotify.com (remove the space, for some reason it's a banned word :-/)

Suggested posts