Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Spotify Connect] - Certain Yamaha Receivers (just WXA-50) Disabled

[Spotify Connect] - Certain Yamaha Receivers (just WXA-50) Disabled

Hi there, 

I have three WXA-50 Yamaha receivers, which are visible, but grayed out in the list Device Picker.  There is a note next them: "Can't play this right now".  (See attached screenshot).  

I have two other Yamaha receivers (RX-A780 and R-N303), plus a Sonos and other devices that still work fine via Spotify Connect.  In fact, the Yamaha MusicCast app lets me link the abled receivers to the disabled WXA-50 receivers, at which point they collectively work via Spotify Connect.  It's only when I try to use the WXA-50 receivers by themselves (or linked to other WXA-50 receivers) that they are disabled.  

The WXA-50 "grey out" is a recent phenomenon, but has persisted for the last three weeks.  All have the newest firmware, just checked today.  These both do play Spotify via Airplay from iPhone but it is not a viable option.

I saw this post from a few months ago:  https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Connect-Yamaha-receivers-disabled-in-Device-Picker/i... and the advice to start a new thread if the problem persisted.  

Spotify App:  ver. 8.5.51.877

iOS and device: 13.3.1 (iphone 7)

Subscription: Premium Family

Thanks for any help you can provide!

IMG_1219.PNG
7 Replies

Similar for me. It started a week or two ago. First it would say like yours when I played podcasts. Ok so I thought maybe the rights are gone for podcasts but now suddenly it wont show up at all. Problem is I'm using spotify 99% of the time so this sudden change of no support just made my unit worthless. Not sure who to ask for help. Is Spotify having technical problems or yamaha?

Same problem here. Yamaha WXA-50 using Spotify connect on the same WLAN, latest firmware.

Hey folks,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly help you out.

In such cases, where the devices show up in Connect as grayed out, the issue is caused by faulty installation files. Fortunately this can easily be remedied by performing a clean reinstall using the steps here. Make sure to completely shut down and restart all devices you are trying to connect afterwards. This is a simple, but often overlooked step.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am seeing exactly the same problem (although intermittently) with my Yamaha WXA-50.  Just did a clean uninstall/reinstall both on Android and Windows 10, but the amplifier is still greyed out on Spotify with "Can't play this right now" message.  All devices are connected to the same home WiFi network.  Spotify premium account.  Would be really great to get some help with this please... thanks!  

Hey @bremfrey,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

It's a good idea to check out the requirements to use Spotify Connect in this support article. If you don’t see your device there, we'd suggest to check with the manufacturer.

You can also follow these steps and try connecting the devices via Bluetooth. In this article there are also some troubleshooting steps.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Did you guys fix it? I've been looking into buy the WXA-50. But not with this issue floating around.

Then again, maybe I should just move away from Spotify.

Seems to be working now at least for music. For podcasts I still have
problems occasionally.

Tip: Make sure your receiver and the Spotify device are on the same wifi
network (needs to be the same access point name). I had my receiver
connected to the same network via a different access point and it didn't
work. Once I corrected this it has worked fine for me.

Suggested posts