Type in your question below and we'll check to see what answers we can find...
If you couldn't find any answers in the previous step then we need to post your question in the community and wait for someone to respond. You'll be notified when that happens.
Simply add some detail to your question and refine the title if needed, choose the relevant category, then post.
Before we can post your question we need you to quickly make an account (or sign in if you already have one).
Don't worry - it's quick and painless! Just click below, and once you're logged in we'll bring you right back here and post your question. We'll remember what you've already typed in so you won't have to do it again.
Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.
Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.
Loading ongoing issues...
I've found numerous posts about this issue, but after a maddening 4 days of troubleshooting, fix trial and error, etc. etc. I'm still at a loss at how to definitively get this working. To anyone at Spotify working with Amazon on this issue I think the MANY Spotify customers who are struggling with this would appreciate a solution once and for all. Here is the quick synopsis:
- I have developed a home audio solution using a set of Amazon Echo Dots (7 of them) that plug into amplifiers and drive speakers throughout my home. It's an awesome solution and it's a powerful, simple, and relatively cost-effective way of modernizing a home audio implementation.
- I've used a combination of re-purposed Dots from a prior home, and bought several new ones.
- Each have been de-registered from an old account and re-registered and re-named to a new Amazon account and email address to keep everything clean
- After each have been set up, I've linked my Spotify account to the Amazon account and the named Dots begin to appear as "devices" that I can stream audio too. This goes for groups as well that I've created.
- What I find is that about half of the Dot names are correct in Spotify, and the rest are named "... Echo Dot", "... 2nd Echo Dot", "... 3rd Echo Dot", etc.
Over 4 days, I have done the following:
- Confirmed that everything is properly named in my Alexa app
- Unlinked and relinked my Spotify account with Amazon
- Rebooted my access point, router, etc.
- Logged out of every device on this account, rebooted everything, and logged back in
- Changed names of all the devices still listed as "... x Echo Dot"
- Allocated different IP addresses via DHCP to all my Dots
- Cleared the cache / data for the Spotify an Alexa apps on my Android phone
- Uninstalled and reinstalled the Spotify and Alexa apps on my Android
- Every other permutation of the above!
All everyone posting this problem (people write it up in many different ways) wants is for naming and naming changes of Alexa devices to be consistent, recognized, and happen immediately. I cannot for the life of me figure out how some of the names are being captured and stored, and why something as simple as capturing a renaming isn't working. Can anyone help figure this out? Where is this "stale data" even being stored and why won't it update no matter what users try? Please help!
Solved! Go to Solution.
Well, I think I have figured it out!!! I cannot believe how complex all this was but for all those wondering, I think this is an AMAZON problem, and NOT a Spotify issue. For some reason, Amazon from an Alexa perspective has an issue with consistency / latent device names that are in conflict between what is shown on their new account devices listings under "Settings" and devices from a Smart Home perspective.
Here is what you do:
- Get on your computer... NOT your phone
- Log on to your Alexa account at https://alexa.amazon.com/
- Check out your devices under https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#settings
At this point you will see that everything that you THINK you have configured from a device perspective is all there, but Spotify is still pulling old deice names from someplace. Turns out it has something to do with the way it's processing / remembering these Echo devices as "smart home" devices. So... do the following:
- Open a second browser window and go to https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#appliances
- At this point, sort by name and you should see the old device names that are being shown in error by Spotify
- Find one and click "remove" next to it
- Now go back into https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#settings and click on the device name that corresponded to the device you just deleted in the prior step
- Scroll down under "About" and click "Deregister"
- Wait until the device you just deregistered has the "spinning orange ring". You can also just wait until you see a new Amazon WiFi network pop up as available. It can take several minutes.
- FROM THE WEB BROWSER NOT YOUR PHONE go to https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#settings and choose to "Set Up a New device" from the top of the screen
- You may need to enter your password again, and you will also need to temporarily switch over to that Amazon WiFi network when instructed
- Go through the remainder of the steps and ensure your computer goes back to it's normal WiFi network
- Once complete, go back to the smart home devices page: https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#appliances
- Even though you didn't need to rename your device, you will find it was retained (the correct name!), and you should see the list of "smart home devices" has not updated properly
Why this "discontinuity" is happening... who the **bleep** knows, but I can happily say that this definitively solves the problem!