Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify only works if i use a vpn

Spotify only works if i use a vpn

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Iv tried for like 2 days, restarting my pc, reinstalling, changing hosts file, relogging, different accounts, hardware acceleration, everything listed  in other forms and notthing works. Im able to use a vpn once to get past the something went wrong screen try reloading every time i login, but songs stay at 0:00 whenever i hit the play button, they only work when i use a vpn.

9 Replies

Hi there @Blur2,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

Can you try to disabling/enabling DHCP and/or manual config?

On another note, can you confirm that you followed the steps that's provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your device, so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I'm having the same problem. The Spotify Windows 11 app ONLY works when a VPN is on. 

I tried what you mentioned above: I went to services.msc, found DHCP Client, tried to stop it but since windows wouldn't allow me I set the startup type to disabled, then I restarted the PC and this time the internet went away. Even if I was connected to the WiFi net, there was no internet detected on any porgram. 

After I set the DHCP Client back to automatic, it all went back to normal, but when I tried setting it to manual in the same way, it didn't do anything, it was just as the initial problem. 

What's going on? 

I have tried everything most websites tell you to do, reinstall, delete folders (there aren't any after I uninstall), delete hosts (never found such a folder or file), set the proxy to no proxy on Spotify, windows isn't using any proxy. It's the same whether I install it from the Spotify website (SpotifySetup.exe) or from the Windows Store. Spotify works perfectly on my phone over the same WiFi network. 

Update: I tried connecting my computer to my phone's LTE hotspot and Spotify immediately worked. So it's definitely a problem between my PC and the WiFi. The phone's Spotify works perfectly on WiFi, so it's not a problem specifically from the WiFi. Somehow it's a problem between the WiFi network and my PC together. 

Hey @GusMaury,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

You can try changing your network profile (If it's currently set on public, set it to private) and configure your Firewall's settings so that it doesn't block Spotify.

It's also a good idea to check if your antivirus software has any network management functions and turn them off temporarily.

If the inconvenience persists after this troubleshooting, we'd suggest that you reach out to your internet provider, so they can do further checks on the network. 

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

LyubkaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

If I applied this to my PC, does this also apply to my mobile? Since they're connected in the same WiFi.

Hey @judehey5,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Could you please clarify a bit more for us what settings you're talking about? Are you using VPN on your mobile device? Are you referring to changing network profile option on PC? Please send as much detail as possible - this way we can get a better understanding and advise you further.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply 🙂 

LyubkaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hello, Apologies for the unclear question, 

I was using a VPN on my mobile device,  and I was using Spotify, and then when I closed my VPN for a bit, I noticed my Spotify was set to offline and I tried to uninstall and install the mobile application,  logging out and logging in,  and such,  then I noticed it was because of me disabling my VPN for a bit. Now I wonder if changing my network profile option on my PC would also apply to my mobile device because that problem also happened to my Spotify on my PC, I also noticed it's also a network problem because my mobile data works but not my WiFi. 

That's all,  thanks.  

I just realized I just have to reboot my router, apologies for the inconvenience 

Hey @judehey5,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

We're happy to hear things are working again and that you're back on track.

The community is here for you, should anything else appear.

Cheers!

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts