Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify thinks I'm offline unless I use VPN

Spotify thinks I'm offline unless I use VPN

I'm having a strange issue right now. I've been using Spotify without any problems on my PC, iPad and Android phone until a couple of days ago. It's still fine on my Android phone but on the PC and iPad app, it thinks I'm constantly offline and won't let me connect. On both of them, I'm using my work or home wifi (just like on my Android phone) and there definitely aren't any issues with my internet.

Strangely, I can't even access the Spotify website in my browser, but only when the URL begins with Spotify (eg. spotify.com or spotify.com/au/download/windows). There is no problem accessing community.spotify.com for example. I tried to access it in Chrome, IE, Edge and all the same problems. My main browser is Chrome and have even cleared all the cache and cookies etc. but still the same thing.

The only way I found a workaround is if I used a VPN. Then the PC and iPad apps (as well as accessing Spotify.com in my browser) would function normally. Does anyone have any idea what the issue is? I'm presuming it's got something to do with my firewall but it was working fine until a couple of days ago and I can't imagine why it's happening in both my home and work network. Also doesn't explain why my Android phone isn't affected if it's something to do with my network's firewall.

12 Replies

No one knows anything about this? Not even Spotify support staff? What am I paying for then each month?

My spotify also has the same issue. It happened a few days ago and I tried all the things I know but nothing works 😞

Same here. Any solution?

I have the same issue. Can somebody help us please?

Hey folks,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

Our developer team is aware of this issue and are doing their best to resolve it as soon as possible.

In the meantime we have some steps, you could try to perform on your Windows desktop devices, which seem to solve the issue for some users.

1. Close the Spotify app.
  2. Click on the Start Icon.
  3. Write cmd to open the Command Prompt.
  4. The Windows Command Prompt Window will appear. Type in: ipconfig /flushdns and press ENTER.
  5. They should receive the following message: Windows IP Configuration. Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
  6. Open the Spotify application.

You could also join this ongoing thread, where we are posting updates on this. Don't forget to add your +Vote.

We hope this info was useful for you.

Have a nice day!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Still no solution?

still doesnt work got any solution?

Hey @faza1,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

If the steps, that @Elena posted above didn't help, you should also check your host file. Even though it was written for another topic, this page has instructions on how to do this. It's a good idea to also run a clean reinstall to remove any corrupted files that might be interfering with the connection to our servers.

If the issue persists, it would indeed seem like you're experiencing a case of this Ongoing Issue. You can +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll keep you updated on any updates on the matter there, as soon as there are any.

Hope this is useful, but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Mihail Moderator

Wow! I've had this issue for months now, this helped. Thanks.

still notthing works, any fixes yet?

iv been trying to fix this for like a week, spotify app only plays when i use a vpn

Hey there @Blur2,

Thanks for taking part in this discussion!

We see that you've posted a similar post and we've answered it here. We'll be moving further troubleshooting there 🙂
Feel free to check it out and let us know if any questions arise.

Many thanks.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

Suggested posts