Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The web player leaks memory

The web player leaks memory

After a couple of hours playing spotify with firefox, firefox is sucking 2gb+ of memory, and it just gets worse with more usage. I know it's spotify because I downloaded an addon that says which tab is using the memory.

11 Replies

I have a similar issue, only it goes up to 3GB + within 20 minutes or so of use on large playlists (In particular the 170+ song Coachella 2016 playlist). I can't enjoy music anymore because I have to force-kill the firefox process to free the memory every 20 minutes. I'm using linux with firefox, if that makes a difference.

Also noticed this with Chrome on Windows, growing at a size of about 25MB / minute for me.

EDIT: Only growing while music is playing (I use the radio exclusively, not sure if other modes are also affected).

I looked a bit more into this after reading reports of the VW advertisement causing issues. After de-activating my ad-blocker (uBlock origin), memory seemed a lot stabler.

I have this problem too.

Chrome and Firefox, both are giving me the same problem.

I use Ghostery and not AdBlock.

Disabling the ad-blocker does not resolve the issue. Memory usage still grows rapidly after only a few songs. I'm using Firefox 45.1.0 on Linux since I can't use the client on my distro.

same for me. FF 47.0 takes over 3GB until it starts responsing very slowly. At this point FF crashes or I manage to close it (which takes several minutes).

Thats a no go! seriously - fix this. Its web! Your user dont even have to install a new version. All they have to do is strg + F5.

PS: While writing this my memory consumption raised from 1,5GB to 2,2GB

Disabling adblock plus on firefox 48.0 on spotify domain solved the issue for me

this is not a solution

this is not a solution

It seems like it got solved somehow. I no longer have memory issues and Spotify streams nicely.

It's firefox, I've used it in chrome for 48 hours... and nothing weird happened, it didn't suck my RAM or anything similar.

Suggested posts