Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

URI to a track within a particular playlist?

URI to a track within a particular playlist?

I can get the URI for a track, no problem.

I can get the URI for a playlist, no problem.

But I can't in the general case figure out how to get the URI for a track that's in the context of a particular playlist. 

I'd like to be able to start my player at a particular place within a playlist (say, start at track number 3 instead of the first track), or to start the web player this way.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. Using the "in context" bit in AppleScript, I can get Spotify to play a particular track within a particular playlist. This is cool, and it works. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that with a URI in the general case.

8 Replies

Hi @ccarfi

Unfortunately you can't at the moment. Since playlists are basically just a collection of links to individual songs, when you copy a link to a song, it's linked to that individual song.

EDIT: I've put up an Idea Thread, which you can find here. If you want you can give it some kudos and support it. Smiley Wink

MauriceMVRock Star 7
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks, @mauriceMV. I've upvoted/kudos'd the Idea. Would be cool if others did, too.

I'm surprised this isn't available, since I was hacking around in the Applescript API and you *can* do this with the Applescript API.

It looks like this is actually possible although I haven't seen documentation of this anywhere. For anyone else googling to find out how to do this, I'll give you an example URL and URI:

URL: https://open.spotify.com/track/1uN7FXCu0SDfV2Lb3SlahC?context=spotify%3Aplaylist%3A7DP7AU926fGTJ00Php2NON
URI: spotify:track:1uN7FXCu0SDfV2Lb3SlahC?context=spotify%3Aplaylist%3A7DP7AU926fGTJ00Php2NON

General format:

URL: https://open.spotify.com/track/TRACK_ID?context=spotify%3Aplaylist%3APLAYLIST_ID
URI: spotify:track:TRACK_ID?context=spotify%3Aplaylist%3APLAYLIST_ID

Thank you neilobsidian! Will check it out.

I know it's kinda silly to have to do this, but if you know the playlist URI, you can get to the 3rd track on the playlist like this:

tell application "Spotify"

play track "spotify:playlist:4MNxsDTto3ngsz41PDFv82"

next track

next track

end tell

or the better:

repeat 3 times

next track

end repeat

applescript syntax may in fact be worse than python!

You are an absolute LEGEND! Thank you so much!

I don't think that is possible, but you can post in on the ideas page. Spotify might add the feature if your idea gets enough votes.

Unfortunately, it looks like it is not possible anymore in 2022. Unless the syntax has changed?

Suggested posts