Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] More Playlist Sorting Options/Columns

Sort options within Spotify are severely lacking.

First, what's lacking outright:

sort by year, total plays, personal playcount, current popularity, genre, tempo, etc.

On top of that, sorting should be stackable, e.g. sort by album by year, or sort artist by total plays, etc.

This could apply to within the artists' pages as well, allowing us to sort through all their songs to better find music that suits our tastes.

Updated on 2020-01-23

Hi folks. Thanks for all your votes and comments. We like this idea, but at the moment we're not planning to do this.

If something should change we'll be sure to come back and provide an update.

Comments
CaptainObvious

Example: My files in "Local library" the columns are the following:

Track, Artist, Time, Album, Added

Not editable at all, thats a shame.

I want to see folderpath also so i can sort from that too, would be great.

Just implement some options for us to choose from (e.g. year, genre, etc.).

TheCancer
Bitrate, year, and album by artist are very handy options, too.
CaptainObvious

I totally agree!

Huh, I'm missed this idea. Added my Kudos.

Capitano
I suggest even more: I would prefer the possibility to add any ID3-tag as additional columns to the playlist layout dynamically.
favorite

Probably not everyone cares about all the available data, so columns should be toggleable via context menu of the column header bar, like in Windows Explorer.

Here are more column data suggestions:

• year - or better: date - for:

a) release
b) availability on Spotify

• Number of listens:

a) by me
b) global total by everyone

• Date and time I listened to this:

a1) song

b1) album

c1) artist

a2) for the first time

a3) the last time

• Genre
  • A row for each mood of Moodagent
  • random values (this row can be used for shuffling (the values should be a hash on the song's data, so the ordering is reproducible))   (a dirty hack that gets somewhat close to this is to order by song length)
nileshthakkar

any comment back Spotify? It is the missing feature that prevents me from ditching my awful combination of itues, wmp and zune!

franmason

I'd like a column for Popularity, too, like when you look up an artist and can see the relative popularity of all their songs. I want to see this as a column in my playlists.

nysteve

To add to this topic:

I DJ at some local events; nothing big so my sets are static, and I make lots of notes using iTunes' columns. Now even though iTunes won't allow custom columns it does have a 'Comment' column and that's serves as an amazing slot for information. Everything else about iTunes I HATE; especially the newest build.

I would completely drop iTunes for Spotify and even use it for spinning local files on my machine, but I NEED a way to comment on the tracks. Thus a 'Comment' column would be an amazing upgrade. I know this would be a huge amount of information to store on a server, so I don't think anyone would mind if that column's info was stored in an XML file on the user's local machine.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this happens in your next build guys!!! 😃

Marco

Added "(e.g. year, genre, etc.)" to make it clearer.

This also allows us to merge the kudos of all those smaller ideas that suggested year/genre columns into this one. More columns imply naturally that you can choose also from year and genre (in my opinion / reading the comments).

Kudos will be transferred soon! 😉