Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

College Student under 18

College Student under 18

So, I've been trying to get a Spotify Student discount for a while now. I am working on a associates degree, but I'm only fifteen, so Spotify can't verify my age. I do have a college ID, and legally I'm considered a college student. Does anybody know if there is any way for Spotify to verify me being a student despite my age, or do I need to wait until I'm eighteen - even though by then I'll have graduated already? It's difficult to have to pay the $10 a month when I know other students get Premium (and other specialties on top of that!) for half the price, only because they're older.

If there isn't a way to verify it, that's fine, but it would be a lot easier for me if there was.

9 Replies

Hey @opryghost, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I understand your concern. According to this page, it states that you're eligible for this plan if you are a student enrolled at a US Title IV accredited college or university, and above the age of 18.

Since you're not 18, you won't be able to get Premium for Students at this time. Whenever you do turn 18, you can always register for Premium for Students using the link provided above.

Have a great day 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

but we wont be students by that point.

Hey @kal_cifer,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Regrettably there isn't a workaround for this, because it's part of the eligibility conditions for the Student Discount, as @Billy-J posted above. We recommend keeping an eye out for other special deals and promotions here. We regularly run such that let you get Premium for a discounted price or even for free.

Hope this shines a bit of light on the matter. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

this is unfair

It still does seem a little unfair sense we are doing the same thing other college students are doing, a little more actually as we, me at least, are still in high school and can't really work a job because of it.

It's shortsighted and a rather half baked scheme, as why can't all students with a verifiable student email from say 13 or even younger get a discount, but while it may be frustrating and seem silly, it isn't exactly unfair. There are also always ways to make money even as a teen, so why not use this experience as motivation to put yourself into the position where you've no need to be worrying about the price of a spotify account.

I am also a college student that is under the age requirement. This means I will have to wait a quite good bit for me to be eligible to get the discount even though I am a student. I am in a disadvantaged family but still love music, so this discount would help me greatly. But due to the short sighted system in place I cannot get this help. Why can't all students get this help? It's truly disappointing, but I do understand why a company with a market cap of $26.95 Billion wouldn't care. And instead would like to safeguard a discount from as many people as possible. Even if it is not the companies doing, but the governments, It is still sad that our own government is so short sighted that their laws do not include those working hard enough to get into dual enrollment.

You can get it, i got it when i was 16/17. Just like do everything you can, including uploading documents and stuff.

Tidal and Apple Music both allow student discounts to people under 18, why can't spotify do the same?

Suggested posts